Accessing Money backup file from new PC ....... RRS feed

• Question

• Help, please

I have one Money CD (Money 2000), but seemingly, I must have acquired a later version of Money   (Deluxe OEM Edition  Version 12     file version 12.00.0613), as that is what version is on what now is my OLD PC, from which I created a back-up copy of my Money data.  WHen I "install" Money 2000. from my only Money CD, it cannot open the Money back up file, giving me an error message about me needing to enter a password - which I deduce from various websites, is Microsoft-speak for "your Back-up file has been created with a later version of Money than that version with which you are trying now to open the back-up file".  Help - I need to access my Money back-up file, but how am I going to achieve this - am I perhaps  going to have to buy a Money 2004 CD version off Amazon (UK)?  I use Barclays bank and 'til I got my new PC, I have merrily been downlaoding Barclays bank data about my current/savings accounts, in to that version 12 version of Money.  How do I access my back-up file, and how do I (or, can I) get in to the position of being able to use my beloved Money, once more, from my new, "WIndows 7 home premium" PC??   I feel impotent, without access to my MOney program??!?!!   FIngers crossed that somoen can help me... 

Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:44 PM

All replies

• Here is what I think happened. I think your 12.0.0.630 version of Money 2004 is a trial version. So if the computer date is after 2004 Dec 31, it will not let you add new things. Also, it would not work more than some time after install.

I would keep your *.mny file, as well as your recent *.mbf files. It may be newer, and it can be repaired just in case. Keep it all.

Regarding buying "Money 2004", be careful. UK Money 2005 is labeled "Microsoft Money" rather than "Microsoft Money 2005". It was copyrighted in 2004. So I would hesitate to go there unless I were sure I were geting UK Money 2004.

What I would suggest you try to do is to wait for the UK 2005 sunset (whatever it will be called). That should be able to access your *.mbf and *.mny files successfully. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/7a8004a7-4b5d-436c-b0c6-99167d9ce509 I don't know how long that will take. Use the old computer in the interval. Backup your Money file to external media (such as USB flash drive) frequently.

Friday, July 15, 2011 12:23 AM
  • Dear Cal Learner,

thanks so much for responding.

My wife is prepared to spend the £42 that Amazon would charge for the Money 2004, just to stop me crying myself to sleep (I must get out more).   I am not clear about your warning re 2004/2005 Money; r u saying that 2004 may well be ok, bu that 2005 Money is to be avoided?  Shouldn't I "just" be trying to ensure that the version of Money that I buy, will be no older than "Version 12 file version 12.00.0613"     and     can't I simply aske teh vendor if this is the case, before I buy it?

I really want Money to be working, NOW!  I will then, in an orderly, planned fashion, with my new PC etc., try to get some replacement product that has a long term future - unless you think that the "UK 2005 SUnset" is the long term solution, that I shoudl wait for?.  ANy further direction on these further comments would be much appreciated - thanks in advnace, if u r able to....

Willie Christie UK
    Friday, July 15, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Dear Cal Learner,

thanks so much for responding.

My wife is prepared to spend the £42 that Amazon would charge for the Money 2004, just to stop me crying myself to sleep (I must get out more).   I am not clear about your warning re 2004/2005 Money; r u saying that 2004 may well be ok, bu that 2005 Money is to be avoided?  Shouldn't I "just" be trying to ensure that the version of Money that I buy, will be no older than "Version 12 file version 12.00.0613"     and     can't I simply aske teh vendor if this is the case, before I buy it?

I really want Money to be working, NOW!  I will then, in an orderly, planned fashion, with my new PC etc., try to get some replacement product that has a long term future - unless you think that the "UK 2005 SUnset" is the long term solution, that I shoudl wait for?.  ANy further direction on these further comments would be much appreciated - thanks in advnace, if u r able to....

Willie Christie UK

Money 2005 should be avoided. It relies on a server that no longer exists to provide an update. You could ask the vendor.

I think UK Money 2004 could be a long term solution, depending on what you want Money to do, and I think "UK 2005 SUnset" could be a long term solution for you. Money can be used for various things, and each of us chooses to use different capabilities. Somebody indeed may come up with the better tool. If you identify a solution that better serves you, QIF export is how you would get your data from Money to a different application.

Search for PocketSense and hleOfxQuotes for a way to get quotes into either version. Unfortunately I don't think UK credit cards and brokers provide OFX servers to get statements and transactions from what I have read.

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Cal

many thanks once more for you views.  

Dominic - you hero - thanks for pointing out what I should have spotted;  my search now turns to find Money 2004!

Willie Christie UK
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:48 PM