Just Bought Windows Home Server And Errors Already RRS feed

• Question

• so i got the 120 trial of WHS and it worked great for 120 days all 8 hard drives worked had regular backups of 6 PC's, so my trial expired and i went to the store and bought a copy of it cause it was such a great program and now im having nothing but problems.

So i put the dvd in the pc and did a Server Reinstallation, 2nd i loaded up the raid drivers to my raid card and it showed all 8 hard drives so i started with the instalation, after a good 2 hoursish it finally fully finished and i booted up the machine and first it comes up with about 4 or 5
    1. is about the WHS preserver service not loading
    2-4. is about the Windows Operation System
    3. Is about the computer back up not loading.

and when i load the Console it says that 4 of my hard drives are missing yet they load up in bios and the raid controller picks them up and when installed the OS they were all there.

i dont understand how a OS can be the best then just die in the water so quickly hopefully someone can help fix it and this is the 2nd installtion i've done tonight and both times i get the same errors.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 4:36 AM

All replies

• RAID is not supported by Windows Home Server, while it may work in the beginning, a server reinstall may end in a situation as described by you.

Assuming, your disks are not configured as RAID at all or the RAID is transparent to the OS:
    Did you integrate the drivers also in the second stage of setup (in the blue screen stage, in which in the bottom line something like Press F6 to add storage drives is written, which will require the drivers being provided via floppy drive)? The first stage is not copying any drivers, it loads them only for the Windows PE environment, which is used for the first stage of setup.

Also Windows Home Server is an OEM only OS, so usually the OEM integrates the necessary drivers in his recovery procedure. If your own hardware has problems, you are the OEM and therefore the relevant support staff.

If you are not able to install the drivers as necessary, you can read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure, which will help you to gain access to your data and reintegrate it manually into your fresh installed server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:37 PM
  • i know all the hardware works with WHS because i had it all working with the 120 trial version, but im not 100% sure if instaled the drivers at the 2nd part i'll reinstall and try that, but any reason why WHS will not be loading the backup console and why i getl ike 10 error messages when it boots up?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:15 PM
  • If parts of the crucial data (like parts of the backup database) was stored on the disks, which cannot be found, this may cause related services to crash and therefore the console not to load.
    Olaf
    Friday, October 16, 2009 1:39 PM
  • i used the discs to install it so im not sure why, im just hoping that maybe cause the 4 drives wernt installed properly that could be some of the errors im reinstalling right now ill up date soon

so when trying to install raid drivers int eh windows setup with f6 i cant press it and load anything but i can press f2 to load the Automatic thingy so im not sure why it wont let me load raid drivers and when its examining the discs at the bottom it shows my hard drives hooked up to my 3114 raid card.

ok so now i cant even select new server reinstalltion i can only select New installtion so how do i go get the data off the hard drives to do a new installation or how do i get a refund for this POS program from microsoft?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 11:29 PM
  • Quick question - do you have a floppy drive in that machine?
    If this was a not completed installation, you may have to empty out the volume C: before trying another server reinstall.
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 9:23 AM