After reinstall of onecare no windows programs open...all are directed to "open-with" dialog. I'm completely blocked! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Running XP Home SP2

Context: (I'm about 20 hours into this problem so far)

Long story, but decided to install onecare as my machine got a virus.  Uninstalled etrust first. 

After I installed and ran Onecare, the machine slowly digressed to a point that it wouldn't boot anymore.  I finally had to reinstall/repair XP.  Once I was up and running again, I uninstalled onecare as it was no longer functioning, then I reinstalled it.  The product kept finding trojan but it wouldn't ever remove it, the culprit service was spool.exe

Actions:

I finally ran msconfig and did the following: 

• I unchecked the spool.exe service from running
    • Tracked it down in the registry and removed the run entry from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key was ntuser
    • Deleted the file spool.exe from windows\system32\drivers

Problem:

When I rebooted, none of my programs would run any more!  Launching Run->cmd, IE, or anything in the control pannel would yield the "open-with" dialog.  Somehow the file association or service.msc is hosed.  I tried going to windows update but it won't install anything.  Does anyone know how I can recover, or uninstall onecare from safemode?

thanks

Monday, June 9, 2008 5:48 AM

Answers