WHS Backup failure. RRS feed

• Question

• Running WHS 2001 and have tried several times to back up my hard wired WIN 7 X64 client box. I keep getting this error " Backup failed due to a problem interrupted the connection to the server"

PLEASE HELP!!!

Friday, April 1, 2011 4:30 PM

All replies

• Ehm - 2001???

• Could you check the event log of the client for more details, please?
    • If you run the backup manually, how far does it come?
    • Is the connection wired or wireless?
    • Which kind of security software (Antivirus, Firewall) are you using?

I can confirm, that Windows 7 x64 in general is not the culprit, since I backup several of these systems with WHS.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, April 1, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Hi,
    This is the Windows Home Server "V1" forum.
    For question on WHS 2011 RC/beta you best re-post your question in the "Windows Home Server Code Name "Vail" Beta" forum.

You might first want search the forum at the link above. I think ther are a number of threads dealing with these kind of problems.
    Maybe start with running "chkdsk <drive:>/x" for all disks on the client.

When reposting, please try to share some additional information on what error(s) you see.
    Is this the only client PC having this problem?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, April 1, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Event log has this:

The description for Event ID 0 from source WhsMcClient cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Bad service request

Back up goes to about 20 - 25% then fails

Wired network

Norton Internet Security version 18.5.0.125

Vielen Dank für ihre Hilfe. Ich habe Deutschland 3 mal und liebte ihn. Nicht warten, zurückzukehren.  (hope that's right used a translater online)

Friday, April 1, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

first thing I would try is running chkdsk /f against the volume, which is failing the backup.

Best greetings from Germany Also - how long is the lease time of your DHCP address?
    Olaf

Saturday, April 2, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Ran chkdsk, now when it fails it says it can not connect to the sever evern tho I can log into the sever from the client.
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Can you check also the event log of the server?

Maybe the backup database has issues, or there is file system corruption, damaged sector, what ever.
    The only other reason I can imagine would be some network driver or hardware issue. What happens, if you attempt to copy a really large file (i.e. an DVD image) from the client to the server?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, April 3, 2011 7:57 PM
  • Reinstalled server and same error. Copied a 2 gig file folder over with no errors.

Sever System log

The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 1203.

Monday, April 4, 2011 12:24 PM
  • Reloaded again. Now it works. Thanks for the help
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 12:12 PM