WHS boots up, shows loading flash screen and then black screen RRS feed

• Question

• Dell OptiPlex GX620
    3 sata drives
    drive1 = 80GB = C: (system)-20GB, D: (data)-60GB
    drive2 = 1.5TB = F: (data)
    drive3 = 1.5TB = G: (data)

approx data on drives = 600GB

Sluggish behaviour in Windows Media player and next day critical alert showing in WHS connector

drive 3 had "dissappeared"
    opened case and checked sata and power connectors and heard drive power up (was also hot)
    did not show up in console or in Disk Management

tried to shut down server but it hung with HDD light showing solid and no audible disk activity.
    powered off server manually by holding down power button

powered on server and it shows the flash screen with progress bar and then the logo dissappears and plain black screen. HDD light solid and no audible activity
    hard shutdown again
    started in safe mode and stops at ACPI****. sys (sorry, at work and forgot to write down file name)

hard shut down system
    disconnect drive 3

bootup system - same as above

NEXT STEP ?

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:41 PM

Answers

• I fixed this the next day. Seems I disconnected the good drive and not the bad one and WHS will not bootup if you do this it seems.

All running again with a new 1.5TB HDD from Western Digital sent 2nd day.

Interesting and FRUSTRATING note, the WHS console will not open on the server unless you are plugged into a network ?!

Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:34 PM

All replies

• Probably you have a hardware failure. Possibly it's a power supply issue, possibly motherboard related (including memory, fans, etc), possibly a drive issue. Standard resolution techniques will probably stand you in good stead here: swapping components, testing memory using e.g. memtest86+, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:30 PM
  • I fixed this the next day. Seems I disconnected the good drive and not the bad one and WHS will not bootup if you do this it seems.

All running again with a new 1.5TB HDD from Western Digital sent 2nd day.

Interesting and FRUSTRATING note, the WHS console will not open on the server unless you are plugged into a network ?!

Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:34 PM