Power Pack 2 Connector Upgrade Issue. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I installed Power Pack 2 last night.      After PP2 was installed the Status Notification of the Home Server Connectors on my clients went Red notating an update was available for the software.

On each client I double clicked to perform the update and on each client the process would fail stating the link to upgrade was invalid (I do not have exact phrasing).

Since this failed, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Home Sever Connector Software from the default location on WHS and this installed but the Version indicates PP1.     

After the Installation completed the Icon is green and within the Home Server Connector > Resources section all versions appear to be consistant with PP2 build numbers.

Just curious if anybody else has experienced this?
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:08 PM

All replies

• I have the seem issue and am pretty peed off about it. Bog standard WHS, spanking new Vista and up to yesterday it all worked fine. Now I got no backup and red icons on all my machines. I bought WHS because it would work in the background and not bother me. Now I got to come to forums like this to find out how I can backup my drives. For sure I'll disable automatic updates from now on.

All my shares work fine, I can access the server in any way, just the connector tells me there is an update but when I try to install that one it tells me 'it can not continue' and I should call my support. I just did, the WHS people in France had no idea. Told me to install WHS again. Could not tell me where to find the connector that works with this pack 2. In fact the whole Power Pack 2 was kind of a surprise to them until they found it somewhere (that was after 15 minutes).... archhhhhhh

Manually copying files now to have a backup of today. 
    mathijs
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Uninstall the Home Server Connector on the Client PC with the Red Warning, and then install it from the \\whsserver\software\Home Server Connector software share.

The installer will state it is a Power Pack 1 but I think it actually updates to PP2 build and the Red Warning goes away.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 5:52 PM
  • mathijs kok said:

I have the seem issue and am pretty peed off about it. Bog standard WHS, spanking new Vista and up to yesterday it all worked fine. Now I got no backup and red icons on all my machines. I bought WHS because it would work in the background and not bother me. Now I got to come to forums like this to find out how I can backup my drives. For sure I'll disable automatic updates from now on.

All my shares work fine, I can access the server in any way, just the connector tells me there is an update but when I try to install that one it tells me 'it can not continue' and I should call my support. I just did, the WHS people in France had no idea. Told me to install WHS again. Could not tell me where to find the connector that works with this pack 2. In fact the whole Power Pack 2 was kind of a surprise to them until they found it somewhere (that was after 15 minutes).... archhhhhhh

Manually copying files now to have a backup of today. 

mathijs

What regional settings do you have your server set for? The reason French support was surprised is because the French release isn't set to go live until April:

http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/

The English version release date is March 24th.  Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish is currently scheduled to be available before the end of April. 

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:39 PM
  • fladtheimpaler said:

I installed Power Pack 2 last night.      After PP2 was installed the Status Notification of the Home Server Connectors on my clients went Red notating an update was available for the software.

On each client I double clicked to perform the update and on each client the process would fail stating the link to upgrade was invalid (I do not have exact phrasing).

Since this failed, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Home Sever Connector Software from the default location on WHS and this installed but the Version indicates PP1.     

That's normal.

fladtheimpaler said:

After the Installation completed the Icon is green and within the Home Server Connector > Resources section all versions appear to be consistant with PP2 build numbers.

Just curious if anybody else has experienced this?

Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:05 AM
  • The server is set on USA regional settings and it is a English version.

By now I think I know what's causing the issue. I now copied the connector software from the server to the client Vista and started the connector setup from there. This removed the installed 1.1 connector and then told me that it could not continue. Great news as now also the shares were removed and I could no longer access the server in an easy way, archhhhh...

When I try to run the setup from the Home Server Connector Software folder it tells me "MICROSOFT WINDOWS HOME SERVER WITH POWER PACK 1 ". So it seems I don't have the connector for PP2. Looked for it on the Microsoft site but could not find a download link. Should have been installed by the update to PP2 but clearly it did not do so. Anybody know how I can get the connector?

I tried to log a bug on connect, but it keeps does not yet have a section for PP2 issues. Adding it to PP1 does not seem to make a lot of sense.

mathijs
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:13 AM
  • Which version numbers are shown in the console?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:48 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  I also see the PP1 agreement when installing the connector on my clients.  The file dates look right on the connector files.

When I go to install them it all works fine untile it tries to connect to the home server and then it says something is wrong and to try again later. 

I can RDP into the box and I have access to the shares so I know the machine is up and running fine.  Is there a service that isn't running or something that is rejecting the requests?

I've tried removing PP2 and having windows update redownload it but no luck.  When I've downgraded back to PP1 my other machinces still won't connect back to the server so my backups are dead at this point.

Mine is the US OEM version I built myself.

Bryan
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:37 PM
  • mathijs kok said:

The server is set on USA regional settings and it is a English version.

By now I think I know what's causing the issue. I now copied the connector software from the server to the client Vista and started the connector setup from there. This removed the installed 1.1 connector and then told me that it could not continue. Great news as now also the shares were removed and I could no longer access the server in an easy way, archhhhh...

When I try to run the setup from the Home Server Connector Software folder it tells me "MICROSOFT WINDOWS HOME SERVER WITH POWER PACK 1 ". So it seems I don't have the connector for PP2. Looked for it on the Microsoft site but could not find a download link. Should have been installed by the update to PP2 but clearly it did not do so. Anybody know how I can get the connector?

I tried to log a bug on connect, but it keeps does not yet have a section for PP2 issues. Adding it to PP1 does not seem to make a lot of sense.

mathijs

I'm checking on the status of updating the bug forms on Connect.  You can submit a bug using the PP1 form and we will change the version numbers manually.  This way, you won't have to wait while we create and/or update the form.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:42 PM
  • I seem to have the same issue, I clicked the upgrade request and the installation won't complete and I seem to have lost my existing connector.
    I didn't realise this was supposed to be PP2 as the installation program said PP1.
    I am running Vista 64 bit and had the 64 bit connector previously installed.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:59 PM
  • freyn said:

I seem to have the same issue, I clicked the upgrade request and the installation won't complete and I seem to have lost my existing connector.
    I didn't realise this was supposed to be PP2 as the installation program said PP1.
    I am running Vista 64 bit and had the 64 bit connector previously installed.

Can you install if you browse to the software server shares? i.e. \\<servername>\Software\Home Server Connector Software or http://servername:55000

And when you say the installer listed PP1, do you mean the EULA?

Thanks.
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Yes the EULA, when I try to install from the software share it cannot find my server and asks if I want to install it manually or search again, I try search again and it searches for a while then returns to the manual or search again dialog. I try it manually it comes up with another dialog with my server name in it, the next screen asks for my password which I enter correctly, I then immiediately get a dialog "The Operation cannot be completed at this time".
    I have tried this several times with the same result. I don't know much about this stuff but all files in the shared software/connector folder have the date 12/07/2008 I would have thought I should have some more recent files?
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:21 PM
  • freyn said:

Yes the EULA, when I try to install from the software share it cannot find my server and asks if I want to install it manually or search again, I try search again and it searches for a while then returns to the manual or search again dialog. I try it manually it comes up with another dialog with my server name in it, the next screen asks for my password which I enter correctly, I then immiediately get a dialog "The Operation cannot be completed at this time".
    I have tried this several times with the same result. I don't know much about this stuff but all files in the shared software/connector folder have the date 12/07/2008 I would have thought I should have some more recent files?

When you right click on setup.exe and select properties>details, it should list the file version as 6.0.2030.

If this version is correct, please download and install the Toolkit

• Windows Home Server Toolkit v1.1 (32-Bit) 
  • Windows Home Server Toolkit v1.1 (64-Bit)

• And then run the Connector Troubleshooter in advanced mode. The manual explains how to do this. If you are still unable to get the connector installed after following the steps in the troubleshooter,  please submit a bug on Connect. Go ahead and use the PP1 bug form but mention that you have installed PP2. We will change the build numbers internally. We are in the process of creating/updating the bug forms.

Also, when you file the bug, please provide client and server cabs. We have a page that explains how to do that here: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8535

Thanks

Windows Home Server

Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:42 PM
  • I figured out my problem.  The IIS server wasn't running.  Once I started it and associated web sites (WHS site) via the IIS console everything worked just fine.

Bryan
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Lara Jones said:

When you right click on setup.exe and select properties>details, it should list the file version as 6.0.2030.

The version I have is 6.0.1800.0
    Friday, March 27, 2009 6:13 AM
  • Bryan,

Where can i find the IIS server to check if mine is runnung?

Thanks.

Patrick
    Friday, March 27, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Lara, I am really not looking for problems but a lot of things simply do not compute.

The version number of the client indicates it is the one for PP2 (6.0.2030), the EULA tells me it is for version 1.1 and the connector troubleshooter tells me I don't have the right version for my WHS.  It also advises me to delete the whole C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server folder but of course that is where the toolkit that advised this is installed, urghhhh...

Now as the EULA, the client installer and the Connector Troubleshooter all tell me the client is not the right one, I must assume that, even if the version number is the one you tell me it should be, I do not have the right client. So how do I get the right client?

Btw the links for the toolkit you provide are also incorrect, gives 404 errors on both the 32 and the 64 bit versions.

mathijs
    Friday, March 27, 2009 11:42 AM
  • You will see a "Power Pack 1" EULA while installing the Power Pack 2 connector.  The connector for Power Pack 2 actually contains the same EULA as in Power Pack 1, even though everything else in the installation is true blue Power Pack 2.  Once you're connected and see the green icon you'll know your server & client are both running the same version.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:44 PM
  • mathijs kok said:

Lara, I am really not looking for problems but a lot of things simply do not compute.

The version number of the client indicates it is the one for PP2 (6.0.2030), the EULA tells me it is for version 1.1 and the connector troubleshooter tells me I don't have the right version for my WHS.  It also advises me to delete the whole C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server folder but of course that is where the toolkit that advised this is installed, urghhhh...

Now as the EULA, the client installer and the Connector Troubleshooter all tell me the client is not the right one, I must assume that, even if the version number is the one you tell me it should be, I do not have the right client. So how do I get the right client?

Btw the links for the toolkit you provide are also incorrect, gives 404 errors on both the 32 and the 64 bit versions.

mathijs

As msliger indicated, the EULA will list Power Pack 1. The toolkit indicating the wrong version is a known bug left over from power pack one.

I've fixed the links to the toolkit. Sorry about that. I copy and pasted them from the download center and I'm not sure how they got broken when I posted the comment.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 27, 2009 3:13 PM
  • mathijs kok said:

Correct links for the toolkit manual and the toolkit. Both links are available on the Windows Home Server support page, which is part of the Windows Home Server microsite...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 27, 2009 3:14 PM
  • freyn said:

Lara Jones said:

It would appear I do not have the correct version of setup even though I had the red icon asking me to upgrade, could someone tell me please where I can download the PP2 64 bit connector software so that I can use my whs again.
    Thank You

Friday, March 27, 2009 6:14 PM
  • freyn said:

freyn said:

Lara Jones said:

It would appear I do not have the correct version of setup even though I had the red icon asking me to upgrade, could someone tell me please where I can download the PP2 64 bit connector software so that I can use my whs again.
    Thank You

The connector software is placed on the server when you update the server to power pack 2. It is not available as a unique download.  If the console version numbers show 6.0.1800 under settings>resources, you need to run Windows Update in the console until it shows 6.0.2030. Once that is complete, you can browse to your software share or to http://<servername>:55000

Thank you
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 27, 2009 8:19 PM