Any news on the fix for the UEFI / GPT backup problem RRS feed

• General discussion

• All I've found are notes to say that it's a known problem and that MS are working on a fix. Has anyone better information?

qts

Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:29 PM

All replies

• Good luck with that one...  Microsoft of late has basically zero engagement with the enthusiast community. They fix things (or not) when they decide to, and apparently see little value in providing a roadmap for current customers.  In fact, I imagine they find us lingering WHS users to be... irritating.  :-)

Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Good luck with that one...  Microsoft of late has basically zero engagement with the enthusiast community. They fix things (or not) when they decide to, and apparently see little value in providing a roadmap for current customers.  In fact, I imagine they find us lingering WHS users to be... irritating.  :-)

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:08 PM
  • That's really, truly sad. The lack of backup kills the saleability of the product. I've just had to tell a potential customer not to bother because of this. That's a sale MS has lost.

Really, all MS has to do to make WHS a killer product is

1 - Fix the backups (both client and server).

2 - Add in - and integrate - WSUS and Forefront

3 - Implement RIPL install and restore.

4 - Implement something like Drive Extender.

Hell, fix the first and if someone were to make the last two cheap add-ons WHS would sell like gangbusters, even at near double the current price. MS are undoubtedly afraid that it would impact sales of WSE 2012; all they need to do is restrict access to the Home and Ultimate versions of Windows 7 and 8. 

qts

Sunday, January 20, 2013 11:36 PM
  • Microsoft is unlikely to integrate Forefront, WSUS, or RPL for various reasons that have been discussed to death here and elsewhere. For the other two points, buy Windows Server 2012 Essentials, but be aware that some users have had issues with the drive pooling technology that OS includes; it turns out that transparent drive pooling isn't a trivial problem to solve (who'd have thought?!).

Also, I'll note that, by definition, Windows Home Server is not going to be the best choice for any business (no matter how attractive the low price makes it), because it doesn't offer the integration points that small businesses will eventually need.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:49 AM
  • That's really, truly sad. The lack of backup kills the saleability of the product. I've just had to tell a potential customer not to bother because of this. That's a sale MS has lost.

qts

Quentin, if you are in a position to recommend a server platform for a business client, then you should be considering Windows Server 2012 Essentials.  This is the replacement product for Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials, and it does provide UEFI backup and a number of other features, including storage pooling.

The Windows Home Server product line has been discontinued, and WHS 2011 is on basically on extended maintenance now. The only impetus for Microsoft to add UEFI backup to this product stems from the facts that it is a relatively recent product release and additional Windows 8 compatibility would help satisfy a small set of loyal customers. 

Will Microsoft do this for the goodwill?  I hope so, but the company has so far not unveiled any sort of roadmap for what WHS customers can expect in terms of future updates and bug fixes.  We are basically taking the Update Rollups as they come.

So far, Microsoft has actually made good on its obligations to support current customers with updates for Windows 8 and various bug fixes.  UEFI / GPT backup is an obvious hole, but this likely represents a non-trivial change to the product.  I hope they do it, but I would not assume so.

You can, of course, use either Windows 8's File History feature or Windows Backup with WHS, so it is possible to mix in some newer Windows 8 systems and create a combined network backup solution.  It's also not a problem for customers who build their own Windows 8 systems using MBR boot disks.  All of my Windows 8 machines so far are of this type.

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:40 PM
  • If WHS 2011 is discontinued then they should stop selling it. Period

Still advertising WHS 2011 as if it's not a discontinued product

Almost all if not all new W8 computers ship with UEFI, to ignore that is just stupid.  Seeing as WHS2011 is Server 2008 R2, I'd imagine a lot of business would love to add a few new laptops/desktops in the future to their current server without the need to format and re-image the drive just to get it working with 2011/08's backup feature.

My father in law runs a small business, imagine he bought SBS 2011 last year (something I talked him out of actually).  Now imagine how he would feel when he runs to Sam's club and picks up a new laptop/desktop to find that it no longer works properly with his new server.  He doesn't have the time to wipe a brand new laptop and format it as MBR.  Imagine how angry he will be with the MS rep who sold him SBS 2011 when they explain his options. Replace the new to him server with yet another new server os. Spend a few hours formatting and reinstalling W8 from scratch.

MS has no choice but to include UEFI support in 2011/08.  Then again, with how W8 and Office 2013 have been going down maybe MS isn't the MS I once knew and trusted.

• Edited by jefflafleur Monday, January 21, 2013 7:22 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 7:21 PM
  • It's not discontinued and is supported until 2016.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, January 21, 2013 8:32 PM
  • @jeffafleur: I didn't say the product itself was discontinued from sale, but rather that the "home server" product line has been discontinued, meaning that WHS 2011 represents the last Windows Server product aimed at the home computer user.  In truth, WHS 2011 is too complicated for the "home" user anyway; the only thing making it suitable for that market is its price point.

But this is probably irrelevant since no company is ever obligated to add features that were not promised at the time of sale, whether a product has been discontinued or not.  Unfortunately, WHS documentation has always made it clear that UEFI disks are not supported, and there has been no promise (so far) of doing so.

I agree with you in spirit, however.  If I were in charge of things at Microsoft I would be spending a bit more energy trying to do the right thing rather than the expedient thing.

Monday, January 21, 2013 8:49 PM
  • ... WHS documentation has always made it clear that UEFI disks are not supported, and there has been no promise (so far) of doing so.

Gary - While I have not seen a formal announcement from Microsoft to this effect, Microsoft Employees on these forums and those close to Microsoft have confirmed that this is being worked on.

Monday, January 21, 2013 9:14 PM
  • ... WHS documentation has always made it clear that UEFI disks are not supported, and there has been no promise (so far) of doing so.

Gary - While I have not seen a formal announcement from Microsoft to this effect, Microsoft Employees on these forums and those close to Microsoft have confirmed that this is being worked on.

That is good to know, thanks Phil!
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:09 AM
  • "Windows 8 systems using MBR boot disks" But this seems to be not that easy sometimes. I was not aware of GPT issue with WHS2011 at all until I bought a brand new Desktop PC recently. Of course backup did not work. But as I anyways wanted to rebuild the system with a SSD as system drive I was still optimistic to solve that issue. I partioned the SSD with MBR and tried to install Win8 from scratch - but it did not work. I got an error message telling me that on an UEFI System Win8 can only be installed on a GPT drive! So i changed it into GPT and installed Win8. My plan was to do regular Windows backups of the System drive to the second drive, a HDD partitioned with MBR and meant for data, and then do a WHS backup of that drive only. Not very comfortable for System recovery but at least I would have a complete backup on my WHS. I did configure the WHS backup to back up the data drive (MBR) only - but still it does not work. It still hangs at 1% and stops with a failure. What a mess! 

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:27 PM

qts

Quentin, if you are in a position to recommend a server platform for a business client, then you should be considering Windows Server 2012 Essentials.  This is the replacement product for Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials, and it does provide UEFI backup and a number of other features, including storage pooling.

I know next to nothing about WSE 2012 - I'm installing it later this week - but this was for a home environment and not a business. WHS cost £50; WSE £250. That's not affordable for many homes.

qts

Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Wednesday, March 13, 2013 3:49 AM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272 for whs 2011

I installed this hotfix "Feature Pack" on my WHS2011 server and it updated the connector software on all of my PC's, including an ASUS UX31a Ultrabook with UEFI/GPT boot disk.

Backup failed on the ASUS with same VSS error as before unless I select only the Windows and restore data partitions. It apparently won't backup the complete recovery and OEM partitions. I think that may be due to an existing requirement of free space (>10% for VSS backup) and NTFS (not FAT32 or OEM)?

Stuart

• Edited by StuartR Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:03 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:11 AM