Microsoft Cert's and getting to the next level RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I wanted to ask a question regarding Microsoft (and even Cisco) certifications that you think maybe more or less appropriate (and maybe even necessary) for what I want to do:

I am a IT tech that has been working in the industry for over 15 years now.  I have been mostly on the desktop side but over the years have working on the Server side as well.  I have been currently employed with a small company (about 100 users and 15 or so servers) with one remote site (that is part of the single domain) for about 4 years now.  My primary job is with the desktops but I do act as a backup admin to on the server side.  I am trying to position myself now to switch over as a full time Server tech as this is the logical path for a tech of my experience.  I have watched Microsoft and the Micro-PC’s evolved over the years so I have a good deal of collective knowledge and experience hands on.  Earlier this year I passed my first (70-290) Certification with Microsoft’s MSCE (for Server 2003).  I would like to get some feed back as to which would be the best route in being desirable for a Server position and as to what Cert’s I should continue on.  I know that Microsoft has their new cert track (MCITP) which covers the more current Servers and technology out there.  I would like to move into a more enterprise type atmosphere as I like the challenge of a larger network.  I have had a good deal of exposure and experience now with Server 2003 (Standard Edition) R2 within a small network.

Thanks,

Damon

Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:13 PM

Answers

• I would recommend going for the MCSA for now, as you already have the 70-290 that leaves 3 more exams to do, then do the MCITP: SA upgrade.

I recommend this due to experience and the following: 

1. Windows 2003 is supported by MS for another 5 years (via extended support).
    2. Not every business will be rushing to upgrade their server to 2008, let alone 2008 r2 especially:
         a. When 2003 is still a good OS and suits business needs &
         b. The recession, money isn't as freely flowing now-a-days compared to 1 1/2-2 years ago.

The main area of our organisation is Education, so we have SA, hence how we upgraded so soon.  However thru the business arm of our organisation, we support both private & other educational organisations.  Not one of the private organisations that we support will be upgrading to 2008 yet due to costs.   

3. The MCSA/MCSE is still a great buzz word within recruitment, there are still alot of companies & recruitment agencies that don't know what a MCTS/MCITP is.  By doing the MCSA then the upgrade, you'll increase your chances, imo.

-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, January 8, 2010 3:44 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:48 PM
  • One thing you might want to consider is looking at the Server 2008 MCITP certifications.  Although you're experienced on Server 2003, having certifications on the latest and greatest can pay dividends from a job seach viewpoint.  Additionally, much of what you'll learn in the Server 2008 courses also applies to Server 2003.

The MCITP Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator is five courses and Server Administrator is three (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx#tab3)
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:42 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• One thing you might want to consider is looking at the Server 2008 MCITP certifications.  Although you're experienced on Server 2003, having certifications on the latest and greatest can pay dividends from a job seach viewpoint.  Additionally, much of what you'll learn in the Server 2008 courses also applies to Server 2003.

The MCITP Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator is five courses and Server Administrator is three (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx#tab3)
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:42 PM
    Answerer
  • I would recommend going for the MCSA for now, as you already have the 70-290 that leaves 3 more exams to do, then do the MCITP: SA upgrade.

I recommend this due to experience and the following: 

1. Windows 2003 is supported by MS for another 5 years (via extended support).
    2. Not every business will be rushing to upgrade their server to 2008, let alone 2008 r2 especially:
         a. When 2003 is still a good OS and suits business needs &
         b. The recession, money isn't as freely flowing now-a-days compared to 1 1/2-2 years ago.

The main area of our organisation is Education, so we have SA, hence how we upgraded so soon.  However thru the business arm of our organisation, we support both private & other educational organisations.  Not one of the private organisations that we support will be upgrading to 2008 yet due to costs.   

3. The MCSA/MCSE is still a great buzz word within recruitment, there are still alot of companies & recruitment agencies that don't know what a MCTS/MCITP is.  By doing the MCSA then the upgrade, you'll increase your chances, imo.

-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:48 PM