upgrade from WHS 2009 to 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Acer WHS running WHS 2009. is it possible to upgrade to 2011? I see they have some really cool addins i'd love to try.

what, if any, issues would this cause with my data?

Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:37 AM

All replies

• It depends what you have. Here are the requirements:

• System Requirements:
      • 1.4 GHz x64 processor.
      • 2 GB RAM
      • At least one 160 GB hard drive.

There is no update path so it will be a clean install and you will need to back up your data before transferring it to your new server. Not sure which "cool addins' you are talking about but the selection is much wider for WHS1.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Monday, February 20, 2012 7:41 PM
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:04 AM
  • thanks for the reply. However, i don't have a new server. I was wanting to update to my existing ACER. If I'm reading your response correctly, it seems that it would wipe out all my existing data, unless I back that up first. which is unlikely as i have no clue how i would back up at least 2T of information.

Sunday, March 4, 2012 4:18 AM
  • There is no in-place upgrade from WHS v1 to WHS 2011.

It *might* be possible to install WHS 2011 onto your existing OEM box (see Phil's HW requirements list above), but you would be completely wiping the system and starting over from scratch. 

There are many differences between WHS 2011 and WHS v1, and MOST of these INCREASE the complexity of using Windows Home Server and impose limitations on the size of data you can back up on both the server and client.  Be really sure you need some of the new features of WHS 2011 before you go there. If you still want to do so, then read on.

Backing up your server data is not too hard.  There are two sets of data to worry about: your client backups, and your shared folders.

You may not care about your client backups, since that information exists on your client PCs and will be recreated on the new server. Technically there is a small risk that one of your client PCs will develop a bad disk before you have had time to make a new backup, so if there is something on a client PC that you absolutely must not expost to even a small risk, then make a separate client backup to an external disk before you upgrade your server. Windows 7's built-in Backup and Restore feature can be used to do this.

As for your shared folders, you can back these up by simply copying the data over the network to a suitable external drive.  2Tb external USB drives are common and would be suitable for this.  Just buy as many as you need to handle the amount of data you have. The drive(s) you buy for this can be used in WHS 2011 as server backup disks, which you will need since WHS 2011 has no built-in folder duplication.  After your new server is set up, you can copy this data back to the shared folders.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:57 PM