One Care on SBS 2008 Server RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed live one care for sbs server on my server and the workstations have live one care. The problem is that when I open up the sbs console it gets caught in a query to update the security status of the workstations. Are there any special settings on the group policy settings for the server or any special procedures that have to be performed on the server and workstations in order to get one care to report back to the server properly?

Mark Hickinbotham
    Monday, June 1, 2009 6:47 PM

Answers

• I'm not aware of any special settings. If the clients were installed as part of a site license for OneCare for Server, it should all set up at install. If the clients are using the 3 seat licenses (typical retail, different LiveID for each 3 installs), then it would not be set up correctly. If you haven't yet subscribed to OneCare for Server and the site license (up to 25 seats), I'd recommend looking for an alternative solution as OneCare is end of life. All active subscriptions will be fully supported through the end of term or end of 2010, whichever comes first.
    If this is a site license situation, then I recommend that you contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, June 1, 2009 7:03 PM

All replies

• I'm not aware of any special settings. If the clients were installed as part of a site license for OneCare for Server, it should all set up at install. If the clients are using the 3 seat licenses (typical retail, different LiveID for each 3 installs), then it would not be set up correctly. If you haven't yet subscribed to OneCare for Server and the site license (up to 25 seats), I'd recommend looking for an alternative solution as OneCare is end of life. All active subscriptions will be fully supported through the end of term or end of 2010, whichever comes first.
    If this is a site license situation, then I recommend that you contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Monday, June 1, 2009 7:03 PM
  • This is a purchased server site liscense that allows me up to 25 workstations. It is my understanding that the workstation product will be discontinued however the server product will continue to be supported. If I call support they only support the consumer product (workstation) and I can find little to nothing on support for the sbs server product. One would think that the server product installed on the sbs 2008 server would be fully functional and compatible with the live one care product on the workstations however it seems that the workstation product is really not for a domain installation. All I am trying to do is get the settings for the server in order to set it up properly. How can I do this?

Mark Hickinbotham
    Monday, June 1, 2009 7:14 PM
  • I have no experience for the server version, so I can't tell you, but support *does* handle the Server licenses as well as the clients. If the front line tech cannot help (which isn't surprising, since the volume for OC for Server is likely quite low) request escalation. If they refuse, get me a case number and I'll escalate to Microsoft. You have a paid license and it should be fully supported.
    OneCare for Server will also end of life with the clients. I don't know what the transition plan will be - perhaps you'll be offered a migration to Forefront. That's speculation on my part... there really hasn't been any word on the server version.
    -steve
    Monday, June 1, 2009 8:03 PM
  • I'll add that if the clients were installed after the server was set up and the clients were joined to the domain, the client install sees that and only allows you to activate with the site license as it sets itself up differently. If you installed the retail clients in trial mode and then joined them to the domain and set up OneCare for Server, that might be the issue. Reinstall the clients to see if this resolves it.
    -steve
    Monday, June 1, 2009 8:05 PM
  • My understanding from another recent post is that Windows XP clients require the following 'optional' update to allow the SBS Server management:

Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions for Windows XP (KB943729)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943729

There is also mention in this article of group policy management using "Windows Vista SP1-based computers that have Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) installed".

OneCareBear

Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    • Edited by Rob KochModerator Monday, June 1, 2009 9:34 PM added optional clarification
    Monday, June 1, 2009 9:09 PM