WCF as part of the main remote web application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there any way to add a WCF Service as a web add-in to the primary remote access web application provided by vail?  I am trying to create a wcf service that re-uses the https certificate and is accessible from 443 and direct access is secured by the main remote access website by requiring its normal login.

If this is possible, how would i go about having a client access the wcf service by providing login credentials (without requiring windows authentication)

I know how to do all of this from a normal server scenario, but trying to make an easy to integrate add-in that hosts the wcf service.

Thanks

If this was helpful, please mark as answered
    Blog: AttachedWPF
    AttachedWPF
    Friday, September 24, 2010 12:16 AM

All replies

• If you can achieve all of that and get it working on IIS with regular installers, you're already most of the way there. Your add-in installer will need to perform whatever custom actions are required to install and configure your components, on the server (and/or the client if there are client components too). That's really all you  should need to do.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 24, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Ok cool, so all i need to do is create a new virtual directory under the remote access web site to re-use the https cert. But then i need to do my own authentication in my own web.config so that the service is availble without logging into the main website. But then in this service i would need to provide my own authentication mechanism that uses the SAM accounts to authenticate WHS users. Is there an api that will give me a list of whs shared folders created for a user and what rights they have? Thanks
    AttachedWPF
    Friday, September 24, 2010 12:39 PM
    i would need to provide my own authentication mechanism that uses the SAM accounts to authenticate WHS users.
    Don't do this. Use the APIs provided to integrate your tools with the built-in authentication (you should integrate your application with the Remote Access web site,). As for determining user rights, you get that (more or less) once you've authenticated: there are standard .Net APIs for determining effective permissions.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any way to add a WCF Service as a web add-in to the primary remote access web application provided by vail?  I am trying to create a wcf service that re-uses the https certificate and is accessible from 443 and direct access is secured by the main remote access website by requiring its normal login.

If this is possible, how would i go about having a client access the wcf service by providing login credentials (without requiring windows authentication)

I know how to do all of this from a normal server scenario, but trying to make an easy to integrate add-in that hosts the wcf service.

Thanks

AttachedWPF

Hi

Would you care to share what you ended up doing? I also want to host a WCF service in the WHS root site, but when I try to add it inside my addin folder (i.e. Program Files\Windows Server\bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\Addins\MyAddin), and test it with the WCFTestClient tool, I get the login page returned in my WCF request.

Did you add the WCF service in a separate application? Would really appreciate some guidance...

Monday, April 11, 2011 8:06 PM