Asus P5E-VM HDMI RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I bought the Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard from NewEgg as it seemed to be the best Mobo out there for a mini ATX case.  Like others here, I started with Ken's Extremetech's article and expanded from there.  Since his recommended Mobo the Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R is no longer available, I chose the Asus P5E-VM HDMI as it had six SATA ports and the latest Intel G35 chipset.

Has anyone else used this motherboard?  I am having difficulty installing WHS.  Before everyone gets in a huff, I am trying to use the built in RAID controller.  This involves using the Asus CD and copying the drivers to a floppy.  This part is not a problem.  I am able to setup a Volume0 using the onboard RAID controller and WHS is able to read the driver from the floppy and recognize the volume.  WHS will format the volume just fine, it spends the 51 minutes copying over files and then reboots into the DOS setup screen.  It then loads the drivers from the floppy and tries to continue with the install, I get the blue screen of death every time.

1. Yes, if I break part the RAID into normal IDE drives, WHS will work.

2. I had Vista 64 hanging around so I tried to use the 64bit drivers on the CD to see if it would work and it did.  I was able to install Vista on the same RAID volume as I am trying to install WHS.

Has anyone been able to find RAID drivers for this Mobo that will work with WHS?

- Roger

P.S. I know that WHS does not officially support RAID, however the data corruption caused by DE is not an option for me.  I need to use this box as a fileserver and OneNote is a critical application for me.  I also need to be able to edit files on the server.  I want to use WHS for its convenients, but if I have to move to Win2008 Server and set everything up manually, I will do that, I just don't want too.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 7:07 PM

Answers

• All,

After an entire day of reading forums, downloading drivers and trying to install WHS 4 or 5 times, I finally got it to work.

1.  Going to the Asus site, I found a 7.5 version of the floppy driver that worked.  The 7.0 and 7.8 did not work for me.

2. On the reboot into DOS, you have to hit the F6 key during that install and load the driver.  I would hear the floppy disk read, but it did not pull the driver automatically so I had to load the driver manually.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 4:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

An update.

I found that Intel had an updated version of the ICH9R driver on their support site for download.  This is the 7.8 version of the driver and it lists Windows 2003 Server as a compatible operating system.

What I do not understand is that when WHS loads the driver initially it finds the boot volume, formats it, and spends 51 minutes copying files to it.  Then it reboots into the DOS Setup screen, reads the driver and WHAM I get the *** STOP: 0x0000007B message.

Does anyone know why?  Why can WHS use the driver to read the drives to format the drive, then when it restarts and use the same driver it fails?  Does this make sense to anyone?
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:29 AM
  • All,

After an entire day of reading forums, downloading drivers and trying to install WHS 4 or 5 times, I finally got it to work.

1.  Going to the Asus site, I found a 7.5 version of the floppy driver that worked.  The 7.0 and 7.8 did not work for me.

2. On the reboot into DOS, you have to hit the F6 key during that install and load the driver.  I would hear the floppy disk read, but it did not pull the driver automatically so I had to load the driver manually.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 4:22 AM
  • Thanks for the info. I was just about to buy this motherboard, but now I might switch it up with something else.

Sounds like it was a huge pain.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Hi Roger,

I ahve bought this Asus P5E mobo also and am trying to install WinXPPro 32. The mobo detects my 4 Hitachi Deskstar  and I can create a RAID 5 array, but as with you Win XP will not install using <F6> either with the drivers that came on the DVD with the mobo nor using the driver version 7.8 nor 7.5 from the Intel site.

When using <F6>, one has to specify the driver (ICH9R on desktop) and the floppy is being read into RAM. Then theoretically the process of installation continues and supposedly the install program asks you which partition or disk you want to use. But the array never is detected and even a single disk which I added as a separate disk is not recognized either.

I do not understand how "load the driver manually" in a <F6> install, can you explain?

Does anybody have any idea how Windows XP can be isntalled on this mobo???

Thank you.

Xavier
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:14 PM