XP not working after WGA RRS feed

• Question

• Was getting a warning about WGA and it was aggravating. So, in spite of my instincts I downloaded the WGA thingie. Next time I tried to start my computer (HP) it starts with the black/white screen asking me how I want to use it (Safe mode, etc). No matter which option I choose, it tries to start, turns black for 15 secs then momentarilly turns blue (too quick to read) and returns to the original black/white screen. Any ideas? This is a laptop used when I was employed by another company. I have no software so re-installing XP isn't an option.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:11 PM

Answers

• Spot,

Follow the steps Dan provided and see if this works. It is important to capture the Stop Error codes presented. Unfortunately since this isn't related to WGA we won't be able to provide you with assistance in this forum. There are a few options which you may take. 

1.  Take the computer to a reputable repair shop and explain what you have experienced. 

2.  Post your question and stop error code in the "Discussions in Windows XP General" or the "Discussions in Windows XP Newsgroups" forums located 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx

3. Contact HP/Compaq Technical Support and request the Recovery Media to be dispatched specific to your system model. Since the telephone number and websites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.  Here is the information I have below:

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:29 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:28 PM

All replies

• Hello Spot,

Thank you for visiting our forum today. Do you get several options "white letters" with a black background saying something like: Start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Last Known Good Configuration etc? If you do please select the "Last Known Good Configuration" number. The problem should not have been caused by WGA. Curious do you have any anti-virus or other anti-malware programs installed on the system? If so do you update them regularly and then perform system scans in order to detect any potential problems on the laptop? Please provide as much information regarding error numbers or messaging you receive.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Yes, I get the whole menu of choices and NONE of them works, including "last known...". I use Norton and it is set to do periodic scans and updates, though it's been almost a month since either was done. The error messages/numbers, etc appear so briefly on the blue screen that I cannot read them. I have decided that maybe it's time for a new computer but would still like to be able to use this one as a backup. I'm thinking this one might be history unless I can get the disks to repair/re-install XP.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Hello Spot5349,

One of the choices on the Safe Boot Options Menu (the black and white menu screen at startup) is "Disable automatic restart after system failure."  Choose it and then restart the computer.  The computer will now halt at the "Blue Screen of Death" instead of flashing by so you can write down the STOP ERROR codes for further troubleshooting.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Spot,

Follow the steps Dan provided and see if this works. It is important to capture the Stop Error codes presented. Unfortunately since this isn't related to WGA we won't be able to provide you with assistance in this forum. There are a few options which you may take. 

1.  Take the computer to a reputable repair shop and explain what you have experienced. 

2.  Post your question and stop error code in the "Discussions in Windows XP General" or the "Discussions in Windows XP Newsgroups" forums located 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx

3. Contact HP/Compaq Technical Support and request the Recovery Media to be dispatched specific to your system model. Since the telephone number and websites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.  Here is the information I have below:

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:29 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:28 PM