Purchase of Windows XPPro Genuine Advantage Key RRS feed

• Question

• On 11.12.06 I purchased a Windows Product Key Update Tool, but after installing it on the Computer it will not validate and I cannot download the updates.  I am also unable to find the answer to my first message.  I don't want the Computer to 'freeze up' again because I haven't downloaded the new updates.  How do I 'validate' and get the Computer running normally again?
    Friday, January 26, 2007 7:23 AM

Answers

• Stelladean,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Please note that Microsoft does not "sell" Product Key Update Tools.  After your Windows installation reports that it is nongenuine, the WGA Notifications Tool displays methods of resolving the issue.  Once of those methods is a "WGA Kit" which can be ordered from MS.  The Kit includes an emailed Product Key for your installed edition of XP, instructions on how to download (for free) the Key Updater Tool, and a packet to be mailed to you (in about 2-4 weeks) containing a genuine MS Windows XP CD and a certificate Of Authenticity.

If you purchased a "Windows Product Key Update Tool" from a non-Microsoft online site, this is almost certainly a scam.

Please post back with more details about what you purchased and installed.

Friday, January 26, 2007 6:06 PM