none
Font Size - Is there any way to change it? RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently had to reinstall Windows 7 on my laptop and after trying every possible suggestion (display resolution, appearance, IE settings, etc.), I have been unable to increase the font size within Microsoft Money (2005), which is too small and too crowded in the screen. Does anyone have any suggestions?.

I found something about a possible change to the MNYCoreFiles, but I do not seem to have this file on my computer.

Thank you. 

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:02 PM

All replies

• The ways that are available are

1.  Buy a bigger monitor for your desktop computer.  You may find that to be a stupid suggestion, but think about it.  You deserve it.  There are some reasonably priced 24 inch monitors with dots that are a little larger. http://www.buy.com/cat/lcd-monitor-flat-screen-display/17154.html The LCD is only going to help if it has bigger pixels. You would want the 1920x1080 rather than 1920 x 1200 to get bigger dots. For bigger pixels, you want fewer pixels in a given area.  To be sharpest, the monitor should use a digital interface such as
    DVI. Your video card would need to have support for that.

2.  Switch to a lower resolution if using a glass monitor.  i.e.,
    if using 1280 by 1024, switch to 1024 by 768.  This is least
    satisfactory IMHO.

3.  On a blank spot on the desktop, right click and choose
    Properties->Settings->Advanced in XP, and I think Vista, change the DPI setting to a higher number. In Windows 7, that would be ControlPanel->AppearanceAndPersonalization->Display. This will have some downside too.  You will have to experiment, and change back if you find the downside to outweigh the upside.

4.  This only works for the web-page-like pages: In IE,
    View->TextSize->Largest.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I'm afraid I'm using a laptop, so changing the monitor is not an option. As for the other suggestions, I have tried them already but they have not worked. 

If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:50 AM
  • Thank you very much for your response.

I reinstalled Windows 7 from within the laptop, so I assume that everything was installed automatically. Unfortunately, I would not know where/how to check this.

I have had some degree of success with the DPI settings but this has made the fonts on other programmes too large to fit into the boxes.

There is one other thing I have noticed since the reinstall - I no longer get a drop down menu when I right click the mouse over an investment on the portfolio. I wonder if I need to start a new thread for this issue.

Thank you for your help. I have used this forum before and I have found your contributions extremely helpful and informative (with special reference to yours and Cal Learner's).

Monday, March 17, 2014 1:36 PM
  • Yes, the DPI settings does affect everything. There is not a more selective control.

That right-click in the Portfolio is not good, since that is such a common operation. You might try plugging in an external USB mouse, and see if that works. If it does, then it would seem probable that a setting or driver for the built-in mouse pad on the laptop could restore that function. I don't recognized that symptom having been described by anybody previously. 

You could make a new thread. One thing you could consider is to install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset plus install the patch. It should also be possible to apply the Raymond Chen patch to Money 2007. I don't have reason to believe that would fix your bug. https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/ has some info on the patch plus other info. I am not sure if there is any advantage to Money 2007 vs Money Plus Deluxe Sunset now that the servers are gone. If Sunset fixed your problem, that would be a big advantage. Just know that Money 2007 cannot open a file produced by Sunset.

Note that many laptops have the ability to drive an external monitor. I know that kills a big advantage of a laptop, but there may be times that would be worthwhile when doing certain things that are not as good on the built-in screen.

Monday, March 17, 2014 2:33 PM
  • I have tried an external mouse and still no luck. The right-click works on other screens and other programmes, but not on the Portfolio.

I seem to remember Money 2005 UK was the only option for UK users when I upgraded from Money 2004.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:13 PM
  • I have now checked the drivers installed on the laptop and they all seem to be up to date. The right-click works on other screens and other programmes, but not on the Portfolio.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:14 PM