SOLVED AND CLOSED - DO NOT ACTIVATE UNLESS YOU WANT TO KEEP IT FOR LIFE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO CANCEL RENEWALS RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been trying to cancel my Windows Live OneCare account to keep it from renewing automatically on December 16th, 2008 - but keep getting the run around two times I was told the phone lines are not working correctly, one time the individual techs computer was down - and then you have to call during the week during the day time - AND THEN YOU HAVE LONG WAIT TIMES ONCE YOU HIT CANCEL - if you hit purchase or some other need they respond quickly - and it's hard to use work hours to do this.  I guess they think we will give up if they make it difficult.

I am no longer using one care because it doesn't do enough compared to other programs -

SO I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PROGRAM TO ANYONE!

additional comments:

They do make it difficult to cancel - MS is should have a way to do this on line - lesser  - I mean smaller businesses can do this but the great MS can't I guess.

I would recommend all who look at onecare look and see what your service provider is providing that does much more.

Monday, November 17, 2008 1:53 AM

All replies

• I'm sorry that you encountered such difficulty in canceling your subscription. If you have the case ID from your call or calls, I'd be interested in having someone from Microsoft follow up on them.

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 7:53 PM
  • I have never been able to get that far - I am calling them today at lunch one more time then I will cancel the Credit Card they will auto charge to if that doesn't work.

Monday, November 17, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Please let me know the outcome and if the agent gives you a hard time for canceling, please get a support case ID.

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 7:58 PM
  • By the way, I should add that I agree that it should *not* be so hard to cancel. In my opinion, you should be able to unsubscribe by going to to the Billing site, logging in with your account LiveID and clicking a button, perhaps answering a survey and perhaps even needing to confirm with a code sent via email or some such process. Calling seems to be such an antiquated way of doing things. It is not my understanding that they will try to convince you to renew or keep the subscription, so calling seems pointless.

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Well the 4th time is a charm - i got in quickly and they canceled but did try to talk me into sticking with it and even offered a discount - so I am assuming it has been canceled - thanks for you contact and input.

Monday, November 17, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Whew! Four calls is just not acceptable, though. I would expect them to try to get you to remain a subscriber and am glad that they even offer a discount, but I am still sorry that you had such a hassle to get to that point.

-steve

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:34 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

By the way, I should add that I agree that it should *not* be so hard to cancel. In my opinion, you should be able to unsubscribe by going to to the Billing site, logging in with your account LiveID and clicking a button, perhaps answering a survey and perhaps even needing to confirm with a code sent via email or some such process. Calling seems to be such an antiquated way of doing things. It is not my understanding that they will try to convince you to renew or keep the subscription, so calling seems pointless.

-steve

I'm afraid I can't agree with this idea Steve, since if malware could detect a OneCare installation and determine your LiveID and password, it would be trivial to cancel, and thus permanently cripple your AV protection.

This would be much easier to do than attacking the program itself, especially if the malware didn't already have Administrative access. Simply sit quietly in the background and learn the LiveID and password when entered (keylogger), then run a script to cancel your OneCare account, from your own PC yet!

You have to think like the bad guys to see why some things that seem to make sense based on current technology actually add to risk. Manual account cancallation also removes all sorts of 'stupid user tricks' that would occur if a cancel button existed. I fully and completely understand why this will never be an option, because I tried this myself out of curiosity early in the first year, so I'm glad it doesn't work.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:54 AM
  • To be clear, I wouldn't have the cancel process happen from within OneCare - I would want it to happen via a secure connection to the Billing site in a browser, with the appropriate authentication protocols and confirmation processes to prevent a bot from performing the action even if your LiveID were compromised. That's why I suggested that the cancellation may not be completed until an email was sent and then verified through a return to the Billing site with a confirmation code received via email, for example.

-steve

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:50 PM
  • Ah, I missed that part about the email verification step.

That should be enough to avoid any automated unsubscribe, assuming they don't just grab the credentials locally and ship them off to a remote site, where a human redirects notifications to another email address and performs the unsubscribe. That would be quite risky and high overhead just to control a PC, though controlling the email account for SPAM distribution might have some value too.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Seems like the LiveOneCare is even more bogus than I thought............

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:32 AM
  • It sounds like the same problem I had when I tried to cancel XBOX LIVE, virtually impossible, couldn't find a link, then searched for a number.

I did eventually get through - like you - BUT it shouldn't be this hard.

One Care Bear - I've read your suggestions before - you are an extremely unsympathetic moderator.  As well you don't think things thru on the consumer side. Of course you should be able to cancel online. Your statement is ridiculous about security - anything financial would obviously be sent through a secure site, like hundreds of other software programs.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:29 PM