windows xp pro with xp home serial key RRS feed

• Question

• hi everyone. Had problem with my son's laptop so had to reinstall windows . neighbour said i could use his copy as long as i used my cd key from bottom of laptop. No worries and cheers i said. Off it went. Came back next day and found I had 28 days left to activate. Also found he had installed xp pro so my serial key won't be accepted as my original version was xp home. Please help as my son is in mental breakdown. Only 13. and now only has 5 days left to activate. Been all over net but can't find help. Please help me what can I do. ???????????????
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Editor Monday, December 28, 2009 8:31 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Feedback and Comments)
    Monday, December 28, 2009 6:40 PM

Answers

• One cannot use a Windows XP Home Premium product key with a Windows XP Professional installation.  Your options include contacting the manufacturer of the laptop and ask them to send you the original factory Windows XP Home Premium CD and perform a clean install [How to replace Microsoft software] or purchase a copy of Windows XP Professional and then use the Windows Product Key Update Tool to enter the new Windows XP Professional product key without having to reinstall the operating system.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:03 PM

All replies

• One cannot use a Windows XP Home Premium product key with a Windows XP Professional installation.  Your options include contacting the manufacturer of the laptop and ask them to send you the original factory Windows XP Home Premium CD and perform a clean install [How to replace Microsoft software] or purchase a copy of Windows XP Professional and then use the Windows Product Key Update Tool to enter the new Windows XP Professional product key without having to reinstall the operating system.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:03 PM
  • I,ve had a lost key code and called microsoft tech and they were nice enough to give me 1.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 3:31 AM