none
What happened to "HELP"?

Question

• Am I the only person to think this is pathetic? It used to be 10 years ago that if you had a problem with a program, say (in this case) Office Communicator, it would have a help menu, you would go into the menu, and you would find a list, maybe not perfect, of topics, troubleshooting tips, etc.
    Now, someone in Microsoft has decided that their tools are so wonderful that we don't need this anymore, and so I get sent to a blog. I can even do a search of the exact text of an error, and get no results. This is, frankly, a joke.

Today, I had a problem signing into office communicator. A simple problem. I don't want a philosophical argument - I want to know what is the probably cause and what I can do to fix it. But no search gives me anything remotely relevant.

A blog search would be perfect if I wanted to do somethign complex and unusual that maybe the original programmers hadn't thought of - like "is there a way to automatically add in all my grandchildren from the moment they reach age 7, evne if they don't have computers yet?"

But for something like "why is my sign in not working?", I kind of think sending me to a blog is abdication of basic responsibility on the part of microsoft.

Monday, August 1, 2011 9:47 AM

All replies

• The communicator forum is at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsclients/threads

But for sign in problems I suggest you to contact your IT department first. The server settings are unlikely known outside of the IT department, so any kind of troubleshooting needs their cooperation.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, August 29, 2011 5:31 AM