none
Approximately how many programmers are involved in creating a Microsoft Office Application? RRS feed

• Question

• As a computer instructor I am seeking information to provide in class to end users of Microsoft Office products and potential beginning programmers.  I am hoping to find out approximately how many programmers are involved in creating a single Microsoft Office Suite Application such as Word 2003/2007/2010 or Access 2003/2007/2010.  I am not interesting in information pertaining to the subject of Excel applications using macros/VBA. 

My intent for using this information is to convey to students the time and complexity involved in creating an application designed for use by a substantial number of end users.

Thank you,

Bri Vahling

Monday, September 20, 2010 11:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Bri,

I'm not actually sure about the true number (or is there a way to find out unless it's been discussed in an article somewhere), but I imagine it's in the hundreds.  Each app (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), is a product in its own right so I figure maybe a hundred devs worked on that.  Don't forget there are also testers, SDETs (developers who write automated test cases), and program managers.  I'm sure that we're talking about maybe 1000-2000+ people easy for the whole office suite.

-Erwin, Microsoft Learning

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Bri,

I'm not actually sure about the true number (or is there a way to find out unless it's been discussed in an article somewhere), but I imagine it's in the hundreds.  Each app (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), is a product in its own right so I figure maybe a hundred devs worked on that.  Don't forget there are also testers, SDETs (developers who write automated test cases), and program managers.  I'm sure that we're talking about maybe 1000-2000+ people easy for the whole office suite.

-Erwin, Microsoft Learning

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:54 AM
  • Erwin,

Thank you very much for your response!  Your answer is very helpful and includes points I had not thought of, such as the testers and others.

Bri Vahling

Friday, September 24, 2010 3:33 AM