Firefox/Safari not working with Windows Live One Care RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem with logging into my Windows Live One Care account using Firefox and Safari.  I have two XP machines and one Vista machine under WLOC.  I also have a MacBookPro which I use exclusively.  I am trying to access the account information.  It seems anything that starts with: http://g.mail........... or http://g.live.  I get: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at g.live.com.  And I also get the same in Safari.  I wanted to be able to access my account from this machine. 

Also, a while back, I installed an update that One Care said I needed and after that my Windows Live Photo Gallery would not start as my screen saver.  I fought with it for a while, then uninstalled the update and Photo Gallery started working again.  I have yet to install any other updates because that is my wife's machine and I am not always around to "fix" it.  She says just leave it like it is, It's working fine now.

I see that they will be offering Windows Live One Care free sometime the middle of next year.  I had to renew my subscription Dec. 5.  I think I will just cancel, wait until its free, and get it again.  Or I will just start replacing my Windows machines with Macs.  I don't have to worry about running any kind of anti-virus, spy ware, mal-ware, or any other $Microsoft$ junk.  It's faster, easier, and more reliable than my PC's.  I can even run Office on it.  Better still, I can install and run Windows, if I wanted to, with Boot Camp or Parallels.

So it seems you have to call customer support to be able to cancel a subscription.  I tried, and had a little bit of trouble with the guy on the other end.  He wanted my credit card info from the card I had on file.  I don't seem to have that card they have on file.  He won't cancel the subscription with out the last four digits of the card or a secret security question answer.  I couldn't remember my question, so he said he couldn't cancel my subscription.  I tell him that card may have been stolen and not to worry, because if that's the case, go ahead charge that card.  He said the bank will see that it is trying to be charged and they will just transfer the funds from my new card.  Now how is that?  I thought I reported that card stolen for a reason.  He wouldn't let me cancel the subscription without the old card info. 
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:11 AM

Answers

• Sign on at http://billing.microsoft.com with your subscription LiveID. You will see the last 4 digits of your credit card listed under the OneCare subscription.

It seems like Firefox and Safari are blocking the redirects that happen when you try to launch a URL from within OneCare, which is where the "g" comes into play in the URL.

Note that OneCare will not be free, but a replacement product will be offered that only includes the virus and spyware protection. The full OneCare product will be available through June of 2009 and supported through 2010.

Yes, many subscription type services will be allowed to be charged when you have a card stolen and a new one issued. You'd need to contact the issuing bank to dispute the charges and discuss options.

-steve

Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:23 PM