Windows 7 build 7600 This version of Windows is not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize beforehand if this has already been answered, but I've searched through and can't find one specific to what happened. If anyone knows of an answer please direct me to the link.

Ok, I bought my laptop, Acer Aspire, from Walmart sometime in March. Everything was working fine up until about a month ago til the screen started going haywire so I sent it in for repairs as it was still under warranty, still is actually if that helps any. Got the computer back, everything was working great after I updated all the drivers again, that is up until last night. Obviously the 7600 not genuine popped up.

Now to be fair I did find something that may be similar in another post. See, when they did the repairs on my computer said they had to replace several pieces of hardware, including the screen, motherboard, and some others. Now the post I saw before said that pre-installed versions of W7 came with a special product key...something about a OEM SLP key or something, sorry I don't remember the specifics and can't find the post now. Anyway it said that the product key came already installed and that the OS looks for that key on the motherboard...so I'm thinking that since they replaced the motherboard that the key isn't there anymore, obviously, so I don't really have any idea how to fix this.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas Kirkland

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:04 PM

Answers

• Thomas,

Without a diagnostic report it is impossible to tell you for sure, however, if they replaced the motherboard and you suddenly became non-genuine what probably happened was that the OEM SLP marker that is supposed to be in the bios is not there. There are two ways to fix this.

1. Contact the manufacturer or locate an appropriate bios on their website then possibly sending the computer back to have them flash the bios, flash it yourself (risky), or take it to a qualifed shop and have them flash it. This would restore the bios marker that activation depends on.
    2. OR- the quicker and easier way would be to enter the key from the COA sticker that is located on the bottom of your computer or within the battery box and then activating by phone, COA keys must be activated by phone. Type SLUI 4 then select country, dial the number, do not select any menu options, wait and a person will pick up, activate by phone.

I offer the advice based on the information given, however you should submit a report, just edit your first post and paste it in.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:28 PM

All replies

• Thomas,

Without a diagnostic report it is impossible to tell you for sure, however, if they replaced the motherboard and you suddenly became non-genuine what probably happened was that the OEM SLP marker that is supposed to be in the bios is not there. There are two ways to fix this.

1. Contact the manufacturer or locate an appropriate bios on their website then possibly sending the computer back to have them flash the bios, flash it yourself (risky), or take it to a qualifed shop and have them flash it. This would restore the bios marker that activation depends on.
    2. OR- the quicker and easier way would be to enter the key from the COA sticker that is located on the bottom of your computer or within the battery box and then activating by phone, COA keys must be activated by phone. Type SLUI 4 then select country, dial the number, do not select any menu options, wait and a person will pick up, activate by phone.

I offer the advice based on the information given, however you should submit a report, just edit your first post and paste it in.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:28 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Friday, October 29, 2010 9:41 PM