Password Change on Home Computer RRS feed

• Question

• On Windows Home Server Console when I right click on "User Account" a context menu appears. I am attempting to change my password to match the password on my home computer. It allows me to change the password and tells me the operation was successful however when I go to sign on again the home computer has reverted back to the Windows Home Server password and not the password that I changed to.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:32 AM

Answers

• Sorry, i'm not strong in explainations...

You have 2 differents account; 1 one your computer and 1 on the server.

The password that you set or change in the WSH console is the Server password, used to access all resources, setting rights (...) and log on the server.

Your computer user password is set in the control panel of your computer / user accounts, and is used to authenticate you on your local computer, not on the server.

There are no link between them (in the case of WHS)

If you want a unique account to access the server , logon to your computer and so on, you have to create a Active Directory domain.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:55 AM

All replies

• Sorry, i'm not sure to understand your message but i'll try to answer.

I think you're confusing the server account and the client computer account:

SERVER\MyUser can have - or not - the same password than MYCOMPUTER\MyUser . But these are 2 different accounts.

The password you set on WHS is the server password. when using it, trying to connect your server from the client for example, the computer/domain part of the password is implicit.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:14 AM
  • I thought I could change my password on my home computer on the Windows Home Server Console (WHSC) sign on screen to access the Server to whatever I wanted to, if not what does the change password option under user account accomplish?

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:27 AM
  • Sorry, i'm not strong in explainations...

You have 2 differents account; 1 one your computer and 1 on the server.

The password that you set or change in the WSH console is the Server password, used to access all resources, setting rights (...) and log on the server.

Your computer user password is set in the control panel of your computer / user accounts, and is used to authenticate you on your local computer, not on the server.

There are no link between them (in the case of WHS)

If you want a unique account to access the server , logon to your computer and so on, you have to create a Active Directory domain.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:55 AM