Read/Write But No Delete RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering how i can enable Read/Write permission so the user can add files but cannot delete. How do i go about doing this?

If this is possible.

Friday, January 21, 2011 12:42 PM

Answers

• You could deny "delete subfolders and files" for RW accounts; logon to the home server using remote desktop, open explorer window, navigate to D:\shares, right click share for which you want to deny delete, select properties, then security tab, advanced, for all users starting with "RW"  select user, click edit, then deny delete subfolders and files. Please note this method is unsupported and you risk messing up your server when make any error.

If you only want to do this for specific users you need to find which users belong to each of the RW groups; on server desktop Start, Run, type compmgmt.msc, Hit Enter, Expand local users and groups, groups.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    • Marked as answer by Veilus Saturday, January 22, 2011 5:49 AM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:10 AM

All replies

• You could deny "delete subfolders and files" for RW accounts; logon to the home server using remote desktop, open explorer window, navigate to D:\shares, right click share for which you want to deny delete, select properties, then security tab, advanced, for all users starting with "RW"  select user, click edit, then deny delete subfolders and files. Please note this method is unsupported and you risk messing up your server when make any error.

If you only want to do this for specific users you need to find which users belong to each of the RW groups; on server desktop Start, Run, type compmgmt.msc, Hit Enter, Expand local users and groups, groups.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    • Marked as answer by Veilus Saturday, January 22, 2011 5:49 AM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:10 AM
  • Just surprising this is not supported normally, i dont wanna risk it so ill stick with my account that has full permission and my login account with just read, its anoying to change login when you want to add data but nothing i can do about that.

Thanks

Saturday, January 22, 2011 5:49 AM