Demo installation doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• I've downloaded, crc checked, burned and verified the iso image. Installation for demo purposes is done in a VMWare Workstation 6.5. The DVD boots correctly and starts the setup screen, it recognizes all the hardware (1GB RAM, 70GB HD) and then starts to copy a big load of files onto the HD. Then, when it wants to enter the next step, the actual installation, it reboots and stops at this (from NT4.0 ages well known) blue, ascii style installation screen, asking for "Insert the CD labeled Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server CD-ROM". Everytime I hit Enter, I can see that it is acessing the drive (kinda proof that it is not a DVD-driver problem) - but it doesn't do anything but promting the text again ...
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:54 AM

All replies

• I've downloaded, crc checked, burned and verified the iso image. Installation for demo purposes is done in a VMWare Workstation 6.5. The DVD boots correctly and starts the setup screen, it recognizes all the hardware (1GB RAM, 70GB HD) and then starts to copy a big load of files onto the HD. Then, when it wants to enter the next step, the actual installation, it reboots and stops at this (from NT4.0 ages well known) blue, ascii style installation screen, asking for "Insert the CD labeled Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server CD-ROM". Everytime I hit Enter, I can see that it is acessing the drive (kinda proof that it is not a DVD-driver problem) - but it doesn't do anything but promting the text again ...

Are you leaving the DVD in the drive?  (Also, you might try making the hard drive a little bigger since technically it's supposed to be 80 GB.)
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:49 PM
  •  (Also, you might try making the hard drive a little bigger since technically it's supposed to be 80 GB.)

I think the check goes for 65 GByte.

In case it was a different DVD drive: Can you borrow the DVD drive, in which you checked the DVD and attach it to the server?
    How is the DVD drive attached (PATA, SATA, USB)?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:56 PM
  • @kariya21
    I'm not going to comment that statement ....

@Olaf
    The drive I burned the image ist the same as the one I'm installing from. The drive is connected through USB, but as I stated in my first post, the installation IS accessing the drive: (>> "Everytime I hit Enter, I can see that it is acessing the drive (kinda proof that it is not a DVD-driver problem) ")
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 4:19 PM
  • @kariya21
    I'm not going to comment that statement ....

@Olaf
    The drive I burned the image ist the same as the one I'm installing from. The drive is connected through USB, but as I stated in my first post, the installation IS accessing the drive: (>> "Everytime I hit Enter, I can see that it is acessing the drive (kinda proof that it is not a DVD-driver problem) ")

It wasn't meant to be sarcastic.  Other people have removed the DVD as soon as they think it's done installing, when in fact it's not.  That's why I asked.  Frankly, you need to lose your attitude if you want assistance.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Could it eventually be, that the VMWare driver support for that oldstyle Windows Setup is not working properly with DVDs?
    Or that the USB drive is now mounted differently? (And it can still be a driver issue, with older VMWare versions I could not mount DVDs, while CDs have been read properly.)
    Anyway, I would not even burn an image to DVD and use a physical drive then, but mount the ISO directly as drive for the VM. That way you circumvent certain driver related stuff as well as issues with the disk.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, July 11, 2009 8:49 PM
  • its easy, just remove any usb-controller from the vm setup, so vmware mounts the cd-rom as "real" ide drive, then it works.
    • Proposed as answer by PalmerTtron Saturday, November 13, 2010 5:31 AM
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:42 PM
  • Can any one tell me how to remove the usb-controllers as mentioned above. I am having a similar problem with the demo disk.

Thanks

Jason

Sunday, August 15, 2010 10:13 PM

This is not a specific reply, but more of a general one.

Unlike previous versions of WHS, "Vail" is based on the core of Windows Server 2008 R2 (which is pretty much identical to the x64 SKUs of Windows 7) which means that if you wish to create a virtual WHS server, VT-x (or AMD-V) support in the host CPU (and in the software used to emulate the server) is a requirement.  While there are a lot more CPUs that support x64 (which is a core requirement for "Vail"), not all of them support VT-x or AMD-V (some low-end Intel and AMD CPUs, especially of the previous generation, fall into this category; examples among Intel CPUs are all Pentium Dual-Cores, and the Celeron DC E1xxx family).  I have one of these aforementioned CPUs currently (Celeron DC E1200), and, while I have plenty of physical CPU muscle to run a real WHS server (along with the E1200, this box has 3 GB of DDR2-800 RAM and a 200 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 8 SATA HDD that used to be a Windows 7, and before that, XP and Vista, main drive), I can't run a virtual server without a CPU swap (fortunately, a Celeron DC E3300 or E3400 would make an ideal replacement without forcing a complete motherboard swap).  Instead, I have created a dual-boot setup (temporarily) with the server also acting as a general workstation (running 7 Ultimate x64 in workstation/gaming PC mode, and "Vail" in server mode, with each OS on its own hard drive).

Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:08 AM
  • Thanks mate this worked a charm.

Stop your VM session.

Right click edit your WHS VM in the sidebar.

Edit configuration and remove USB from the list..

Start the VM up again and continue on with the build.

BOOM

Saturday, November 13, 2010 5:34 AM
  • For me removing USB didn't help at all. What fixed mine was, I noticed that there was a floppy connected that I never configured called "autoinst.flp" once I disconnected it the install worked fine.

Vista Ultimate 64 host

VMWare workstation 7.1.3 build-324285

Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:07 PM