none
Licensing - 10 client connections terms RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I'm just wondering about the licensing on WHS.

So, I've been having problems with WHS, specifically it won't backup my clients, and I've been reinstalling the client connector and client pc for more than 2x now. My question;

Question1
    - if I install and reinstall the client connector software more than 10 times will that breach the WHS license?

- if I install and reinstall a full client computer on WHS more than 10 times will that breach the WHS license?

Now, in both of these situations I only have 3 clients connected simultaneously; 2 laptops and 1 home PC ... but it is the home PC which is giving me problems requiring me to reinstall over and over to test.
    If I reinstall client connectors and client PCs (NOT THE ACTUAL WHS SOFTWARE ON THE SERVER) more than 10x, but still only keep 3 users running will that breach license??

Or does the license mean that you have to have 10+ clients all RUNNING AT THE SAME TIME SIMULTANEOUSLY as well, in order for the license to be breached???

Question 2
    My 2nd question: If I install, find it doesn't work, then reinstall a client PC, does that mean I've used up one client license i.e. say I have 10 client connections licensed at start ... I connect laptop 1, and laptop 2, which means I have 8 licenses left, and then I install and reinstall the home PC 4x b/c of many problems, which means I have = 8 - 4 = 4 licenses left??
    Is it cumulative like that? Or is it on an install AND USE at the same time basis??

Thanks
    Regards.
    • Edited by mdlee Saturday, November 1, 2008 6:03 AM
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 5:59 AM

Answers

• Positive..  I've installed/reinstalled the connector on many different pcs, have had friends and families install the connector and do backups, etc.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    • Marked as answer by mdlee Saturday, November 1, 2008 8:40 AM
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 8:39 AM

All replies

• You can only have 10 pc's/users in use at a time.  If you remove one, you can add another.  Also you can install or uninstall the connector as many times as you wish.
    • Proposed as answer by Enchanter Saturday, November 1, 2008 8:39 AM
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 8:28 AM
  • great thanks.
    are you sure?

my main question i guess was the issue between;

client install only licenses vs. client install AND use

reading the license details and the legalise it seemed like it was only "install AND use" ... so I should be okay.

Thanks for your reply.
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 8:38 AM
  • Positive..  I've installed/reinstalled the connector on many different pcs, have had friends and families install the connector and do backups, etc.
    • Marked as answer by mdlee Saturday, November 1, 2008 8:40 AM
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 8:39 AM
  • The "client licensing" for WHS prevents you from having more than 10 users (plus Guest) in the WHS Console, or having more than 10 PCs as clients. So if you have 10 client PCs and you remove one, you can now add another client PC. If you have 10 users and delete one, you can now add a user. There is, however, no CACL (such as might be used with other versions of Windows Server) to be recorded or deployed anywhere.

Because installing the connector on a computer associates it with a particular server (the server "knows" the computer), however, there is no concept of "in use", either. If your child takes her laptop off to university and it's not communicating with the server for months, that client connection is still in use, because the server still shows the computer as joined.

When you reinstall the connector on a PC that was previously a client, you're "reconnecting" to that pc's data on the server. No additional client is created, so you don't have a problem there. If the PC isn't currently a client, you can try (and fail :) a connector installation as often as you like. No licenses are used.

Does that help?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 1:39 PM
  • yeah thanks. that was exactly what i was after.
    now i can get back to sorting my problems out and reinstalling the whole thing over again.
    just wanted to ask first before i did anything.
    cheers.
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 1:44 PM