Bluetooth Enable Windows Mobile Media Player OR Develop BT Activation App to Auto Enable BT for Selected Apps RRS feed

• Question

• If I am wearing a headset (wired or bluetooth), I want to be able to set Windows Media Player to use the headset rather than my phone's speaker.  Of course, I still expect the software to suspend when there is an incoming call (that I actually answer) and automatically resume when that call has been terminated.  I think that goes without saying.  But currently, this software does not output to my bluetooth headset.

Better yet, design a separate thin client app that allows you to indicate which apps should use bluetooth (headset) when one is present.  There is a vendor who designed such an app (check out Handango, BlueAudio) but it is enormously buggy and causes so many problems as to not only render the app useless but causes drastic measures to undo the damage it can cause.  So, Microsoft, care to compete with BlueAudio and put something out there that works?

Mobile:  AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925
    O/S:     Windows Mobile 6.1
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:31 AM

Answers

• I'm not really sure I understand your issue.  I have an HTC Fuze, as well as several other windows phones, and I can use my bluetooth headset with Windows Media Player on all my windows mobile devices - even my hx2415, which runs windows mobile 2003se.  AND, on my phones, if a call comes in while I am listening to a podcast or music, it will pause the music while I take the call.

So can you describe how you have attempted to do this on your Tilt and what happens when it does not work?  Do you see any messages?

Prof Julie, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices | http://pocketprimer.com
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:24 AM

All replies

• I'm not really sure I understand your issue.  I have an HTC Fuze, as well as several other windows phones, and I can use my bluetooth headset with Windows Media Player on all my windows mobile devices - even my hx2415, which runs windows mobile 2003se.  AND, on my phones, if a call comes in while I am listening to a podcast or music, it will pause the music while I take the call.

So can you describe how you have attempted to do this on your Tilt and what happens when it does not work?  Do you see any messages?

• Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:24 AM
  • Hi MJS MS - we appreciate your posting. We are marking this thread as answered just for internal tracking purposes but feel free to come back and post at any time.
    Thank you from the Windows phone team
    http://www.WindowsPhone.com/TotalAccess
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:59 PM
  • I'm not sure what to try.  When I launch Windows Media Player 10 (v10.3 build 19214) while using my Motorola Motopure bluetooth headset, audio always goes to my mobile's speaker.  I don't see any configuration settings within WMP to use bluetooth (vs speaker) if available.  "Options" has a playback tab but that tab just allows you to choose how to display time on a song (remaining or elapsed) and checkboxes to pause playback while using another app or resume after a call.  None of the other tabs have anything to do with bluetooth enabling.

Any ideas?  Or am I missing something completely obvious?

MJS
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Okay, this is how I am able to get audio from WMP to play through my bluetooth A2DP headset:
    Turn on Bluetooth on the headset
    Turn on Bluetooth on the windows phone
    From the Wireless Manager screen select Menu > Bluetooth Settings
    Move to the headset (in the Bluetooth Devices screen) to highlight it (do not select it)
    Select Menu > Set as Wireless Stereo > Done
    Startup Windows Media Player and select something you want to listen to. You should now hear the sound coming through your headset.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 12:37 AM
  • If I go to Start->Settings->Connections->Wireless Manager->Settings->Menu->Bluetooth OR
    Start->Settings->Connections->Bluetooth I get the same app opening up which shows the Settings app for Bluetooth with my active bluetooth devices in the box below.  When I highlight my headset, I have 3 available options:  Edit, Delete, and Set as Hands-free.  The option to Set as Wireless Stereo is greyed out.

Why is that?  How can I fix this?

MJS
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:22 AM
  • What Bluetooth headset do you have?  Are you sure it supports the A2DP bluetooth profile (this is what enables it to handle wireless stereo)?
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 3:51 AM
  • Well.  I have the Motorola Motopure H12.  I had installed, a while back, a bluetooth app that would in effect pipe anything audio to your bluetooth headset.  So you could turn the app on and off at will.  And it worked (at least when I tested piping audio from WMP and my GPS navigational software).  However, it was flaky and impacted the call function on the headset.  So I had to uninstall it and the developers were aware of the problem and I don't see a fix coming in the near future.  Because of this experience, I just assumed my headset should be able to playback anything audio (including from WMP) to my headset.

I've tried to go online and confirm or deny whether this headset has A2DP bluetooth profile support.  And based on a couple of sites (one of which was motorola's support forums wherein a user asked about plans to release a H12-like headset with this profile support to which the forums manager indicated first he didn't know what that was and then said he didn't know if there were plans of that nature and when a unit like that might be available to the public).  Not precisely the expert response I was looking for to verify the answer to my question.  So I guess I'm going to have to assume my headset doesn't have support for that profile.

Admittedly I did not know that I would specifically have to look for support for this profile in order to use audio apps (with bluetooth HS).  So at least I know if/when I can upgrade, what to look for.  My difficulty is that I have small ears and 99% of all headsets (with in-ear canal pieces) are too big and painful in a fairly short time frame.  The H12 was the best I had found to alleviate that problem.

So thanks for the insight and all your prompt help.

MJS
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:12 AM
  • I've got some new information that I'd like to share with you.  I recently installed an application to my WM6.1 standard phone and while exploring all of its options I discovered a way to use a bluetooth earpiece that does not support the A2DP bluetooth profile to listen to podcasts or music under Windows Media Player. 

You might be able to hear Windows Media Player audio from your headset if you install some bluetooth software to your phone that extends the functionality of bluetooth. 

I haven't used these applications on a WM6.x professional device, but you might want to try them out and see if either one of the apps allows you to listen to music with your Motorola Motopure:

Monday, April 19, 2010 4:57 PM