How do you create HS default shares like HS does RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All -

I'd like to know how Home Server creates a drive letter share and drive letter+folder share the way they do using the OS tools available, not using the Home Server Console.

In Disk Management I see 2 drives, and all the HS shares are based off of the 2nd drive. But that 2nd drive is not visible anywhere else. I am familiar with creating a share from an existing folder. I am familar with "Share and Storage Management" as well. What I'd like to do in theory with this 2-drive setup as it looks like in HS is 1) make the 2nd drive visible, 2) map a drive letter to the root of that drive, 3) add a folder to that mapped drive letter, 4) create a share of that drive letter+folder, 5) make the 2nd drive invisible again. This way the result should be similar to what HS has in "Share and Storage Management > Shares" and also looking under "Computer". I'm thinking. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, shares need to be created off of existing folders, so until I can do steps 1-3 I'm stuck. Hence my question here. Anyway...my steps are what I'd like to do if I could, but what is really going on in the actual configuration (and therefore what can be done and how it is done) compared to what I'm thinking may be very different.

I thank everyone for their responses to this. I bet it's easy and has been answered...but I could not find it...

ChrisR

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:17 AM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Monday, May 10, 2010 11:46 PM

Answers

• (moved to Vail forum...)

Drive Extender creates the drives and shares you see. Microsoft hasn't told us how exactly they do it, but it's probably a driver for a "pseudo" disk device that does the magic.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Chris Ribetti Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:17 AM

All replies

• The only supported way to create new shares in WHS is using the WHS console. You can simply create new shares in the console which are not based on existing folders. Simply choose add new share in the WHS console, name the share, assign rights and WHS will do the job.

If you make your own shares on a WHS storage disk you risk messing up your WHS install. Also since these shares are not controlled by WHS you can not use duplication for these shares. If you really want shares outside the WHS storage pool you should add another disk which is NOT joined to the WHS storage pool and create the share on that disk. If the share will remain very small you could also consider creating a shared folder on the system (C partition), however this is also nit supported and again if you make any errors you risk messing up your WHS install.

Having said that, your second (and other WHS storage drives) will be listed in C:\fs

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:24 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Brubber.

Please do not take this adversely...I'm not trying to do something that is not supported. I was impressed with the way that the default shared folders in HS were set up and would like to know how to do it...from a Windows Server operating system perspective. I have not seen this type of shared folder configuration before.

My last message details what I see in the HS shared folder configuration and either I'm missing something in what's really happening or there's a step I'm unfamiliar with in creating their share configuration. Does anyone know how it's done?

Chris

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:37 PM
  • Unsupported means "at your own risk". Nothing wrong with that, as long as know what you're doing and have your essential data stored somewhere safe.

It's probably possible to create such shares manually, however it would involve many steps including editing and creating a number of WHS specific registry keys. Really not worth the trouble IMO, since we have WHS console to do the job for you.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:55 PM
  • I appreciate your response Brubber. I'm sure there's people in the community who know operating system shares very well and I'd like to give someone a chance to answer my question.

I'd like to know how Home Server creates a drive letter share and drive letter+folder share the way they do using the OS tools available, not using the Home Server Console.

In Disk Management I see 2 drives, and all the HS shares are based off of the 2nd drive. But that 2nd drive is not visible anywhere else. I am familiar with creating a share from an existing folder. I am familar with "Share and Storage Management" as well. What I'd like to do in theory with this 2-drive setup as it looks like in HS is 1) make the 2nd drive visible, 2) map a drive letter to the root of that drive, 3) add a folder to that mapped drive letter, 4) create a share of that drive letter+folder, 5) make the 2nd drive invisible again. This way the result should be similar to what HS has in "Share and Storage Management > Shares" and also looking under "Computer". I'm thinking. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, shares need to be created off of existing folders, so until I can do steps 1-3 I'm stuck. Hence my question here. Anyway...my steps are what I'd like to do if I could, but what is really going on in the actual configuration (and therefore what can be done and how it is done) compared to what I'm thinking may be very different.

I thank everyone for their responses to this. I bet it's easy and has been answered...but I could not find it...

ChrisR

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Hi Chris,

This has little to do with default operating system shares.

I'm pretty sure I can do what you ask, however it would cost me at least one hour to check all the steps, and I simply don't want to spend that much time on this right now. Perhaps you should read some of the WHS documentation which is available overhere, more specifically the Technical Brief on Drive Extender. I already provided a few pointers; data is stored in D:\DE\shares or C:\fs\X\DE\shares. share foldes are located in D:\shares. After creating the appropriate folders you will have to assign appropriate rights and edit / create the relevant registry keys.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Hi Chris,
    you got all answers, which an engaged user could give. Since MVPs are users, who help other users in their free time, be aware, that reverse engeneering of WHS is not part of what other people usually do. All answers here as far as I have seen have been correct also by my knowledge and there was absolutely no reason to flag one of those and even blame a user, who tried to help you.

If the answer would be so easy, you would find plenty of answers in the Internet anyway.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:08 PM
  • (moved to Vail forum...)

Drive Extender creates the drives and shares you see. Microsoft hasn't told us how exactly they do it, but it's probably a driver for a "pseudo" disk device that does the magic.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Chris Ribetti Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:17 AM