none
Installed Money Plus Sunset on new pc. When I open any old MS Money file it converts to M16 file type but will not show my data in MS Money Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• I have a lot of backup from MS Money.  On a new computer I downloaded Money Sunset.  When I run Money Sunset, it tells me it must convert my file.  The file that is created is a file type M16.  After converting the file Money Sunset opens but will not display any data.  Do I need to create credit card accounts, bank accounts, etc first so Money Sunset has some place to put my data?
    Monday, September 16, 2013 3:45 AM

All replies

• I presume you are not from the US or Canada, so Microsoft Money Sunset would not work for your files. Go to what is currently the second link on this forum, and download the version of Money appropriate to your file. Then use that.

The *.mny file that resulted from attempted conversion may not work. Use your *.mbf file(s) or look for *.m12, *.m14 or similar files. Note the dates on those files. If they exist, they would be a copy of your *.mny file as it existed before you attempted to convert using Microsoft Money Sunset.

Monday, September 16, 2013 2:00 PM
  • I am from US, so should I use the second link and download that program?  Do I have to load my account numbers into MS Money Sunset before I open my converted file?
    Monday, September 16, 2013 4:19 PM
  • No, and no.

You have installed Money Plus Deluxe Sunset, which is appropriate to your US file. Money Plus Deluxe Sunset converted your Money 2007 file, and left a copy of the Money 2007 file named *.m16.

Next, apply the mnyob99.dll patch as described in what is currently the first post in this forum: "Alert me Money Plus bug and solution (mnyob99.dll)".

Open Money by double-clicking your converted *.mny file in Windows Explorer. Thereafter you can open Money that same way, or you can just open Money, and Money will remember your file.

Consider your backup plan, including what effect a hard drive failure would have on you.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:46 PM
  • How do I move mnyob99.dll toMNYCoreFiles.   I have downloaded mnyob99.dll.  Followed the path C:program file (x86):microsoft money plus:.  There are only 4 files and they are:  1.  Insites,  2. money plus,  3. readme, 4. sample.  I do not know how to log on as admin, but was able to do a search for mnyob99.dll and got it renamed .  When I search for MNYCoreFiles it tells me it does not exist.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 3:32 AM
  • The folder containing that file is hidden and by default Windows Explorer does not show

hidden files and folders.

You need to go into your folder options in Windows Explorer and tick the "Show Hidden

Files and Folders" options. 

See the following KB article which includes instructions for various OS on how to alter that

setting

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/164944 

Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:40 AM
  • That will not work.  For whatever perverse reason, MS designated MNYCoreFiles as a System folder.  The easiest way to find it is to navigate to the Microsoft Money Plus folder in Windows Explorer and put MNYCoreFiles in the Search box.  That will take you to the contents of the folder that contains mnyob99.dll
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Thanks for correcting my update. 

I always have both System folders and Hidden folders set to display on my systems

so I always see it.

I posted from another machine and was unable to check the attribute of the folder

and thought it was "hidden" as opposed to "System".

• Edited by AshleyST Friday, September 20, 2013 12:55 PM Re-wording
    Friday, September 20, 2013 12:48 PM