Anti Virus on WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• Should I try to install a Windows OneCare license (one of my three) on my WHS CTP?

I was just wondering if the server (WIndows 2003 after all) needs anti virus

thank you

Chris

• Changed type Ken WarrenModerator Monday, December 29, 2008 2:48 AM This is more a discussion of what and why, rather than a question.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:14 PM

All replies

• If you have time, you may want to do a search.. There are sevel Anti Virus questions about MHS posted on the forum.

Poeople are useing Norton, Mcaffee, NVG and I think nvast.

I believe that any pc that is located on the net, needs a Anti virus. 

Just my 2cnets.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

test the ClamAV! It is a free AV, also for windows servers!
    http://www.clamav.net/
    http://www.clamav.com

Avast is only as a test version for windows server available.

or search the forum ...
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:20 PM
  • There aren't a lot of consumer grade products that will work with WHS that I've seen, most of them will only run on standard OS.  I was going to try Windows One Care myself but the install tells you that WHS is incompatible.  Assuming that we are going to be able to purchase this I might look at something like a corporate edition of something.  I've worked with some of my clients at work that are running Norton Corporate edition and the client versions are pretty lightweight from what I've seen, and having 5 computers on my network that would be nice.  I would like to see a similar version of One Care though.  I liked One Care when I ran it.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:23 PM
  •  

I don't think you should install an anti-virus software on the WHS.  The reason is because you're not going to surf the Internet, etc. with the WHS.  Second, you are or SHOULD be running anti-virus software on the clients already which makes running an anti-virus software on the server to be a duplication of effort.  Not to mention that it takes up additional server resources.  Just think of the WHS as a NAS.  You don't need anti-virus software to be running all the time on a NAS.

However, the above-mentioned wouldn't apply if you're going to use your WHS as a normal computer which I strongly suggest you not to.  Microsoft should incorporate a virus scanner to scan the files that have been uploaded via remote access.  Similar to that of Windows Sharepoint Services 2003.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:45 PM
  • The main reason to install AV software (and it's why my WHS has Symantec Corporate AV installed) is to protect against someone bringing an infected PC into my house and hooking up to my network. It's socially unacceptable to say to a guest "Sure, you can hook up to the network. Just let me run a virus scan on your laptop first."
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:59 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    The main reason to install AV software (and it's why my WHS has Symantec Corporate AV installed) is to protect against someone bringing an infected PC into my house and hooking up to my network. It's socially unacceptable to say to a guest "Sure, you can hook up to the network. Just let me run a virus scan on your laptop first."

I concur with this, this is my primary reason for wanting an anti-virus installed.  Most of the people who are going to using my server I trust, but you never know what they might have missed (or me for that matter) uploading the files.  And I sure don't want a root hook coming from a file they've overlooked.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:25 PM
  • I see what you mean.  However, say if a guest copies an infected file to your WHS, wouldn't you be notified when you access the file via your clients with anti-virus installed?  You wouldn't be accessing the file from your WHS, would you?  But if a guest uploads an infected file and a remote access user downloads it, there would be a problem.  That's why I think Microsoft should have an anti-virus scanner similar to the one in Sharepoint.

If you install anti-virus software on the server, there's no way for the guest to know that he or she is copying an infected file.  Depending on your quarantine settings, the guest might think that the file has not been copied successfully (cannot see the file in the folder) and keep on trying to copy the file to the WHS.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Oh I understand exactly what you're saying, I would just rather cut if off at the source if I could.  The other thing to consider is if I have friends that grab files from my server who might not be running av software, I'd have to let them get a virus from my server.  Plus I don't run antivirus software as a background application on my machines simply because of the performance hit and the trouble they can cause with other programs.  I run periodic scans to ensure they are running well.  Since the server sets idle a lot it can afford to use some of it's power to run the antivirus.  If I were running a website with a lot of traffic on it I might reconsider that, but since this server is for backups and file sharing I'd personally much rather have a little redundant protection.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:25 PM
  • I am glad this question was asked because I didn't consider that WHS would need a Anti-Virus program for a Server and not a regular Windows OS! However, won't having to purchase a corperate license be a bit cost prohibitive for normal home users? I currently run Panda Securtity Suite which offers three licenses for what use to be the price of one. This is grand as now I can buy two copies and cover six computers. I just assummed I could run it on the server as well, so am really glad this was brought up.

Seree

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 11:48 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    The main reason to install AV software (and it's why my WHS has Symantec Corporate AV installed) is to protect against someone bringing an infected PC into my house and hooking up to my network. It's socially unacceptable to say to a guest "Sure, you can hook up to the network. Just let me run a virus scan on your laptop first."

On the contrary, I believe it is completely acceptable to have people ensure they are virus free before hooking to my network. I wouldn't let someone with the plague come into my home, why would I let someone who I suspect has a virus on their laptop connect to my network?

But I digress, if you let anyone and their dog connect to your network you would need a virus scanner, but realize that some viruses damage files irreparably and a simple connection may kill your valuable data. If you are careful about who has access, and do not let stray programs run on your WHS or have access to it, then your need for a virus scanner is negligible at best. When it comes to viruses, the first defense is the best defense.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 12:20 AM
  • Perhaps Microsoft could bundle a copy of the Forefront AntiVirus together with the Windows Home Server. That would cover it if the WHS does need coverage.

I do not think that Microsoft should steer WHS users to other options such as Panda.

The WHS after all is an "easy to use" home server that should not require much maintenance / administration

Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread

Chris

Thursday, April 26, 2007 1:25 PM
  • You might night surf the internet but you will sure be connected for software downloads/updates including service packs for WHS.

So get an anti-virus.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 7:31 PM
  •  Let's just think about the logical aspects of the WHS AV question:

1. Is WHS connected to the Internet? Yes.
    2. Is there an unpatched DNS vulnerability running rampant on the Internet? Yes.
    3. Does the above vulnerability have to do with technology used in WHS? Yes.
    4. Will  NATS in the router protect your WHS from this vulnerability? No.
    5. Has Microsoft done anything to address this long going question concerning AV on WHS? Not really.
    6. Have you encountered a major slow down in your Internet access or other WHS errors (STRINGBUG for example)?
    7. Can you guarantee that your WHS is free from viruses, bots and other exploits? Probably not.
    8. Do you want the recover your data from an infected/compromised WHS and inadvertently infect the system you are restoring? No.
    9. Do you want someone to be able to access all the data stored on WHS? Probably not.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 10:22 PM
  •  KoloheWiz wrote:

Does the above vulnerability have to do with technology used in WHS? Yes.

The DNS service isn't running by default in WHS and so unless you turn it on for some reason, this vulnerability doesn't affect WHS.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 10:58 PM
  • I really must chime in on this. LOL.  I currently do not have AV on WHS, but want to install my Symantec Corporate AV 9.0.0.338 from 2004 on it. Glad to hear that Ken has tried it and it works.

I'm running WHS as a primary file server and storage system, as it should really be used for. (Don't worry, I have an auto sync made daily to another drive outside WHS ;-) ) So, no files I use daily live on any of my pc's on the network. So, if I download something, I send it directly to WHS.  I'm no PC/AV tech guru, but I think that if I have my Symantec Corporate installed on my network PC and the download passes through it to the WHS, the AV on the PC should catch the virus before it hits WHS....or will it?  If not, then more the reason to install an AV on WHS! 

Personally, I'm not worried about friends infecting WHS. I have one person that has access and he can only read and not upload...at this time.  Until  I get my AV installed and set up... ;-)  I'm a firm believer in KISS- "Keep it simple, stupid."  Just because you can do it, does not mean it's worth the trouble...LOL. So I do not let everyone have access to my WHS. More maintenance, more trouble, more effort, more worries.

Any opinions on the pass through protection of an AV or the Symantec AV version I wish to use on WHS?
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:13 PM
  • I'd sure love an update on those of you who have installed SAV Corporate Edition on your WHS boxes.  Any feedback?
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 6:29 PM
  • I am using Avast WHS for anti-virus. It is out of beta testing and is a released product that is working very well. The pice is not bad either. GZo to their website and check them out. I think you will be happy with their product.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Tryed the released version of AVG and much trouble with it.  Doubled the balancing times and would constantly freeze video streaming (DVD) to my client machines.  Attempted to get help from their support but it took almost two weeks to get the first response back. My suggestion is if you really need antivirus, look elsewhere.

Friday, February 1, 2008 7:52 AM
  • I recently purchased the Avast Antivirus for the whole network as I've been using Avast for quite some time now with good success.  I have it installed on WHS and all PCs.  What's cool about it, is it is installed as an Add-In and you can deploy it to all PCs on your network.  SFSG...

Friday, February 1, 2008 6:04 PM
  • BGood2,

I have used SAVCE since Day 1 when WHS RTM was released without any problems.  I also have it installed on all four PCs, 2 w\Vista Ultimate, 1 Vista Enterprise and 1 XP Pro, all working flawlessly.  (As far as antivirus is concerned! )  If you have it, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use it.  After all, some AV is better than no AV.

Cheers!

Stan

Friday, February 1, 2008 6:57 PM
  • BGood2, I am currently running SAVCE 10.1.5 on my WHS. I have not had any issue with it. I have it configured to auto updated and push updates to the clients ( my other pc). No issue since i started using WHS in BETA.

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:32 PM
  • Here is an update to a recent thread and some links I've posted on another blog regarding some AV programs.

WHS Thread on AV
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:20 PM
  • Its good till you try to remove it from the server then it kills your server as it will not remove itself from the addins or itself from the menu bar. in order to do this you have to reinstall your server to get reid of there software. I would not use them if they were the only show on earth after the bull I had to jump to get it off of the server what a pain in the @sss Avast AV is.

Monday, February 11, 2008 7:06 PM
  • May I ask how you installed SAV Corporate on WHS, as a server install, or a client install? And, what version are you using 10.2?

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Client install, unless you're going to use it for your workstations to report to to get updates and virus signatures.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:47 PM
  • timtaylor25,

Do you have SAVCE installed as a client version or server version on WHS? I'm asking because you mentioned that it is automatically pushing AV updates to your clients.

I currently run Norton Internet Security (which includes AV) on my three client PCs but my license will expire soon. I am not running any AV on my WHS. So, I am considering installing SAVCE on the WHS box as well as on my three clients.

Thanks for any comments.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 12:22 AM
  • Ed,

Sorry to jump in here, but I might be able to answer your question; at least from my perspective.  I have SAVCE installed on all 4 of my workstations and my WHS as clients.  I have all workstations and WHS configured to get their updates from the Internet.  (I have FiOS, so bandwidth isn't an issue.)  I would highly recommend installing AV on ANYTHING that has Internet access, whether directly or indirectly.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,

Stan

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:40 AM
  • I am running SAVCE as AV Server on my WHS, for my client PCs. It automatically send up to the clients.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:50 PM
  • As with any product, some people have good success and others do not. Personally I run AVG on my laptop and have had no issues, however I found it problematic on WHS. Unless your server does not get allot of use (mine sure does) or you just use it for back up, it "will" slow it down, especially when balancing.  If you can live with that it seems to work great.  I found it to be a price I could not pay so until something is done from either MS or from the AVG folks about performance, I can not use it.  I suspect it is more a balancing issue than anything but regardless it hits your performance significantly.  I even did a fresh install of WHS with no other add ins and got the same result.  My server is a fairly high end machine (E6750 Core duo, 3 gigs of DDR2, 5x750 gig WD, 1x1T WD, and 1x500 gig WD) and it still brought the performance to its knees (visual response about 50%, balancing times doubled, and worst of all I real issues streaming video to my client machines).  I use my server as media streamer and have all my music and video on it (SD and HD).  It caused SD to be periodically choppy and made HD unplayable.  So for those of you who are having success with it congratulations and I hope that someday I will have the same success.  As a side note, there support is worst I have incountered in long time so be warned if you need to contact them that you will have to waaaaaiiiittttt.

My 2 cents

Mike

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:52 PM
  • I am currently running SAVCE version 10.1.5.5000.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:04 PM
  • I run CA's eTrust on all my networked machines and tried it on WHS.  It gave me real problems and I had to uninstall, so I would suggest you stay well clear of that product at present.

Andy

Saturday, May 17, 2008 11:49 PM
  • Thats good advice!

The bottom line though is you should only be using an anti virus product that is designed to work with WHS and actually understands WHS otherwise you may have problems.

Unfortunately that rather limits your options today....

Andrew

Sunday, May 18, 2008 7:38 AM
  • Ah well, i've just installed F-secure for WHS and im now taking it off.

The speed and performace of file transfers (which is what some of us use a server for - not just backups) is way way to sloooooooooow!

Media juttering and backups taking forever to complete.

I like the idea of full protection but im going to have to risk it this time.

I use my WHS to back up my PC & Laptop and give 'ME' access via tinternet, im gambling that bacause im protected on the PC & Laptop (i only use laptop to access remotely) that im in a closed loop of protection.

If i get a virus i'll let the thread know.

Not sure what the solution is, my circumstances are probably different to others and i might get away with it, I dont like it but I cant wait for files to transfer as slow as this - its harking back to 286 days.

Good Idea on paper but in practice totally useless.

Regards to all

Tino

Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Tino,

I use Avast on both my servers, and have found no problems - as of yet - with it; the speed before and after is about the same.

Also, after someone previously said they had problems with the uninstall, I've done it a couple of times as a test, both times with no adverse effects. 

Colin

Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:31 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Tino,

I use Avast on both my servers, and have found no problems - as of yet - with it; the speed before and after is about the same.

Also, after someone previously said they had problems with the uninstall, I've done it a couple of times as a test, both times with no adverse effects. 

Colin

Hi Colin

Thats very interesting, i'll give it a go.

I forgot to mention that my server PC is 1.2 ghz low power unit so AV  will be a little more sensitive to demand on the CPU but I like the the sound of it and i'd like the protection.

Will update you on the outcome

Regards

Tino 

Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:06 PM
  • i know this is an old post i'm replying to, but hopefully it will help someone who comes across it - 

do not use ClamWIN AV on WHS!!!!!!! it breaks windows media connect!!!! 

i had to re-boot my server everyday so that my xbox 360 could read the media on my WHS. also under the server storage tab in the WHS console, the progress bar just keeps running (calculating storage) now. 

i hope this helps someone in their search for an AV for their WHS. 
    PS- i'm still looking.....
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:40 AM
  •  lupini83 wrote:
    i know this is an old post i'm replying to, but hopefully it will help someone who comes across it - 

do not use ClamWIN AV on WHS!!!!!!! it breaks windows media connect!!!! 

i had to re-boot my server everyday so that my xbox 360 could read the media on my WHS. also under the server storage tab in the WHS console, the progress bar just keeps running (calculating storage) now. 

i hope this helps someone in their search for an AV for their WHS. 
    PS- i'm still looking.....

Lupini83,

Thanks for the AV feedback. Avast has a dedicated AV available that is pretty solid. So, now it's the best one to go with if you have not found one to work correctly.

I did some testing last fall and posted the results on a WHS blog. Check this thread for my links and results of which AV's work and don't. I use AVG 7.5 Network edition as it was the only one I found to work before Avast came out with their dedicated  WHS AV.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:38 AM
  • For people who want more than external hard drives or 'dumb' NAS devices but don't have the time or ability to mess with more complicated systems such as full mini-servers running RAID-redundancy, Windows Home Server the perfect medium. Additionally, WHS is not based from some server farm god-knows-where in the world which would cause people's private, and possibly sensitive, data to be transmitted, and potentially infected, through the web wherein it could be hacked and stolen.
    I've read through the posts both for and against adding anti-virus and firewall to a WHS machine. I'm from the school of thought that says that EVERY machine connected to the internet should be fully, and independently,  protected against intrusion and infection. Systems and networks using OneCare should try to stick with OneCare. Those using other sets, such as McAfee or Symantec/Norton, should stick with their programs. Using competing product brands can cause conflicts which could then prevent the backup feature from working as intended and, subsequently, cause data loss from having no backups available.
    Bottom line, folks. Many people do run OneCare on centralized computers with notebooks attached through a router and, thereby, fill out their 3 PC limit on the OneCare license. Microsoft needs to do two things to OneCare: make it compatible on Windows Home Server so that the WHS machine is independently protected when set up on the network and include a specific extra license just for installing on a Windows Home Server machine. By doing so, it will also promote the sale of Windows Home Server which, despite its detractors, is a superior, cost-efficient solution to backing up computers and small home networks.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 2:34 AM
  • Hi,
    the product OneCare is set to be cancelled by Microsoft and will be replaced with a free security tool.
    I am not sure, if this will have any influence to Windows Home Server, but OneCare definitively will not support Windows Home Server any more.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:02 AM
  • I am running SAV Corp Edition 10.1.5.5 as a AV server. Have never had any issue's with it. Remember WHS is virtually SBS 2003 with an addin.
    Tim Taylor
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:30 AM
  •  Joe, I have it installed as a AV server on my WHS box and as client on my other PC. The Server updates and runs auto scanns on all my PC's.
    Tim Taylor
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:34 AM
  • timtaylor25 said:

I am running SAV Corp Edition 10.1.5.5 as a AV server. Have never had any issue's with it. Remember WHS is virtually SBS 2003 with an addin.

Tim Taylor

No, that's not true.  WHS is much more than an "addin".  It handles files differently than any other MS OS on the market.  While SAV may work for you, it's not recommended and definitely not supported.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 3:39 PM
  • That's a pity, Olaf. OneCare is one of the best maintenance-inclusive AV-Firewall programs to come out. It would be a sore mistake for Microsoft to discontinue it. I used to swear by Norton products but not even Norton does what OneCare does for the product price.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 4:06 AM
  • JDMaverick said:

That's a pity, Olaf. OneCare is one of the best maintenance-inclusive AV-Firewall programs to come out. It would be a sore mistake for Microsoft to discontinue it. I used to swear by Norton products but not even Norton does what OneCare does for the product price.

Click here to read about the new product (code-named "morro") from the MS website.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 4:26 AM
  • I am also using SAV Corp Edition.

I am disturbed by the fact that the shield is not showing up in the system tray though. Normally with a client install you see the shield. I checked the UI and it shows that it has been downloading updates but I feel more comfortable seeing the tray icon. Does the tray icon show up on your WHS?

On a related note, I am using AVG free edition on my x64 box. I was thinking about switching to AVG on my home server as well. Anyone have any comparisons between AVG and Symantec that would help me make a decision? 
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:10 PM
  • SAV Corp is not Windows Home Server aware, as far as I know. That means there is a risk that it will take normal WHS activity as "virus-like", or that it will throw false positives on files that Drive Extender is manipulating. I recommend against the use of any non-WHS-aware anti-virus, for the moment; that would be avast! and fSecure, that I know of.

BTW, for those who question whether AV proteciton is needed on your home server, if you never surf the web from it, or execute programs on it, you might want to take a look at this alert on the fSecure site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

SAV Corp is not Windows Home Server aware, as far as I know. That means there is a risk that it will take normal WHS activity as "virus-like", or that it will throw false positives on files that Drive Extender is manipulating. I recommend against the use of any non-WHS-aware anti-virus, for the moment; that would be avast! and fSecure, that I know of.

BTW, for those who question whether AV proteciton is needed on your home server, if you never surf the web from it, or execute programs on it, you might want to take a look at this alert on the fSecure site.

That is an excellent point Ken about getting AV software that is Homeserver aware.

Regarding the Symantec shield not showing up in the system tray....It does not show up when you are remoted into the machine but it does show up when you are physically at the machine. I should have checked this but I never hooked up a monitor to my homeserver until today.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:18 AM
  • SAV Corp only shows up in the system tray of the "console" session. By default, Remote Desktop doesn't connect to that session; only a physically connected KVM will do so. You can do so through RD, but the console session has a couple of additional capabilities that a normal Remote Desktop session doesn't, and those additional capabilities offer even more opportunity for causing problems with your server.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

I've done some pretty heavy testing with ClamWin and can't find any problems with it so far.

You may be interested to know I have written an Add-In to support ClamAV installations on Windows Home Server.

http://mswhs.com/2009/12/18/clamav-antivirus-add-in/#comment-19704

http://whsclamav.sourceforge.net/

Also it not being an 'on-access' virus scanner it doesn't slow down your server when accessing files.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Thanks Al West,

I had SAVCE installed as a client but felt it too resource hungry. I have now installed ClamAV WHS Add-In and have no problems with Media Connector .... Looks good to me so far for a basic 'work-in-progress' :-)

Any more features due soon such as config options, scan/update schedules etc?

Excellent so far though

Samalama

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:18 AM
  • Hi Samalama,

At the moment the Add-In only provides, manual scanning of system & data drives and memory, updates and proxy configuration.  I do plan to develop the Add-In further to support adjusting configuration option.  Depending on the take up I will look at perhaps using the ClamAV DLL directly rather than using ClamScan to provide the scanning method.  I will also look into providing automated scanning and updates - however I do believe that for performance of WHS in general it's best not to utilise on access scanning or repeatedly provide automated scanning due to the time it takes.  Though I run the clamscan threads at lower CPU priority this shouldn't be a problem.  On my EX490 a scan of 1TB takes around 10 hours.

Currently the Add-In will only report if you have a virus or not.  I am still looking into the correct procedure to remove an infected file that may be duplicated.

If anyone want to provide feature requests, suggestions or reviews then please use the sourceforge site for WHSClamAV:
    http://whsclamav.sourceforge.net/

Happy New Year,
    Al
    --
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 1:17 PM