UPS for HP EX 470 RRS feed

• Question

• If you don't yet have a UPS for your server, I can recommend the APC Model BE350R, available at Sam's Club for only $29.74.

The server treats it as a battery, and you can see this by going into Control Panel - Power Options. I set it to do a graceful shutdown once the battery is down to 15% capacity.

As a test, I pulled the APC power plug out of the wall & the server's blue lights remained on. There was a loud, long beep, indicating the switch to battery power.

The software that comes with the UPS is neither needed nor compatible with WHS.

Pretty cheap power protection!

Monday, July 21, 2008 1:30 PM

Answers

• I'm running an APC CS-350 on mine.  I've already got an APC ES-750BB for my main PC.  This new, smaller unit, is just for the server and nothing else.  And I have to correct the OP, the included Powerchute Personal Edition software *IS* compatible with the WHS OS, it runs just fine on mine.  Though I did recently replace the Powerchute software with the GridJunction Add-id that allows me to manage the UPS from the WHS Console without having to RDP into the server.

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:57 PM
  • I would recommend setting your server to shut down while there is still around 40% battery left, because in some circumstances your server may take several minutes to shut down (I've seen 3+ minutes on a couple of occasions).

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:05 PM

All replies

• Costco has the APC Model BE550 for $38.99 plus tax.
    jd
    Monday, July 21, 2008 3:27 PM
  • And that's also a good deal IF you need that much power. 350 is more than adequate for the server. However, if you're adding a monitor or other stuff, then maybe you'd need a 550.

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:30 PM
  • I'm running an APC CS-350 on mine.  I've already got an APC ES-750BB for my main PC.  This new, smaller unit, is just for the server and nothing else.  And I have to correct the OP, the included Powerchute Personal Edition software *IS* compatible with the WHS OS, it runs just fine on mine.  Though I did recently replace the Powerchute software with the GridJunction Add-id that allows me to manage the UPS from the WHS Console without having to RDP into the server.

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:57 PM
  • I would recommend setting your server to shut down while there is still around 40% battery left, because in some circumstances your server may take several minutes to shut down (I've seen 3+ minutes on a couple of occasions).

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:05 PM
  • I plan to try GridJunction. I see it's still Beta. Have you had any problems?

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Excellent advice; I've now made that change. Thank you.

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:28 PM
  •  

No problems, the author is being very thorough.  He has version 1.2 ready for public release, but I believe he is waiting for the public release of Power Pack 1 before making it available.

I also second the recommendation of the 40% shutdown threshold.  During shutdown the wattage draw can actually increase as your server (or PC) gracefully exits, and that can take a minute or two, so you need to make sure you have enough juice left to allow that to happen.

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Monday, July 21, 2008 5:33 PM
  • I can't figure out how to get GridJunction. Seems to be mysterious.

Monday, July 21, 2008 10:05 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    He can stop waiting, then.

Meaning??? I can't see where PP1 is released.

Monday, July 21, 2008 10:22 PM
  •  Bobsie wrote:

Ken Warren wrote:
    He can stop waiting, then.

Meaning??? I can't see where PP1 is released.

Click the text you just quoted, it's a link to the announcement of PP1, which itself contains a link to the download.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:12 AM