can't install media player 11 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a windows xp professional with sevice pack 3 recently installed. I try to start up windows media player 11. A pop up tells me I need to validate my copy of windows before I can use wmp11. I validate my copy of windows with no problem. I then try again to install/run wmp 11 and a pop up tells me I need to validate my copy of windows.

I am a little tired of the run-around. How do I validate my copy of windows so that I can install wmp11. Nothing from the microsoft web-site is even remotely useful. I therefore place myself completely in your hands.

Thank you.

Sunday, June 1, 2008 9:41 PM

Answers

• Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BJ8HB-32JJH-P478B
    Windows Product Key Hash: iiEdq8RLhFtJVjsLJvsjhMh48hY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2213553-69832
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {D3262F9C-5592-4CF2-B878-0EF716A0B340}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{D3262F9C-5592-4CF2-B878-0EF716A0B340}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-P478B</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2213553-69832</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1614895754-287218729-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VMware, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>VMware Virtual Platform</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20070410000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7C173E8701841679</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Friday, June 6, 2008 5:30 AM
  • linuxrlz,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge.

In some cases, the mini Player might not function or the buttons might not be available (appear "grayed out") after you install Windows Media Player 10. To fix the problem, try restarting your computer. If the problem persists, do the following:

Right-click an open area of the Windows taskbar (such as below the system clock), point to Toolbars, and then click Windows Media Player.

This removes the check mark beside Windows Media Player and turns off mini Player mode.

Restart your computer.

Reinstall Windows Media Player 10 (do not try to remove your existing copy of Windows Media Player 10 first).

Restart your computer again.

If you should have other non-WGA questions please visit our other communities for helpful information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/community.mspx .  Thank you for visiting the forum.

Lori MS
    Friday, June 6, 2008 10:45 PM

All replies

• linuxrlz,

Please follow the steps outlined below, the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Lori MS

Thursday, June 5, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-BJ8HB-32JJH-P478B
    Windows Product Key Hash: iiEdq8RLhFtJVjsLJvsjhMh48hY=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2213553-69832
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {D3262F9C-5592-4CF2-B878-0EF716A0B340}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{D3262F9C-5592-4CF2-B878-0EF716A0B340}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-P478B</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2213553-69832</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1614895754-287218729-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VMware, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>VMware Virtual Platform</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20070410000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7C173E8701841679</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Friday, June 6, 2008 5:30 AM
  •  

linuxrlz,

The diagnostic report indicates that Windows XP Professional is genuine.

When does the error message come up? When you used the validation website were you able to resolve all

check points?  Also check to make sure you have administrative privileges as well.

Lori MS

Friday, June 6, 2008 8:59 PM
  • Hi Lori, thanks very much for your help! I think I have discovered my problem. The pop-up happens whenever I try to start or install windows media player 11. The main problem is that there are NO buttons on the pop-up. The title bar says "Windows Media Player 11" and talks about the wga program, but there are no buttons to select. When I logged in as administrator, the same thing happened when I started MP11, but at the bottom of the pop-up window, I could see that there were supposed to be buttons, which were apparantly supposed to run the wga program. Since I could only see the tops of the buttons, no writing in the buttons, I just guessed as to what the buttons were supposed to do. This was at a screen resolution of 1600x1200. There was NO scroll bar in the window, so there was no way to fully expose the buttons. I could faintly see the border of the button hi-lite when the mouse cursor passed over the area, so I picked the right most "button" and selected it and was able to validate MP11 successfully. I CANNOT SEE ANY BUTTONS IN THE MP11 POP-UP TO TAKE ANY ACTION AND THERE IS NO SCROLL BAR. Well, after validating the MP11 successfully I thought I would log off the administrator account and then log in as myself and use the media player. Well, it was not to be. The WGA pop-up no longer appears, but when I started up MP11, the first screen asks you kindly to select your settings. Problem is, I CANNOT SEE ANY OF THE BUTTONS TO PICK OR PRESS. I do see the 2 selections just fine, express or custom. I just CANNOT MAKE ANY SELECTION SINCE THERE IS NO BUTTON ON THE PAGE. Plus there is no way to expand the window. I have reduced the font size in the wondows desktop appearance to the smallest possible. The lowest text in the windows in the lower left of the window is a link to view the privacy statement online. THERE IS NO BUTTON!!! I STILL CANNOT START UP THE MEDIA PLAY BECAUSE I CANNOT MAKE A SELECTION. Am I the only person in the world that this is happening to? How do I make a selection when I cannot see the buttons. They are tucked safely away out of my view in the window and there is no scroll bar to use to make the buttons appear, nor any way to make the windows bigger. I am completely at a loss so find myself again in your capable hands. Thanks for your help. I look forward to finally making use of my computer at some time in the hopefully not too distant future..

Friday, June 6, 2008 9:49 PM
  • linuxrlz,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Forum.  The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic as well as outside my area of knowledge.

In some cases, the mini Player might not function or the buttons might not be available (appear "grayed out") after you install Windows Media Player 10. To fix the problem, try restarting your computer. If the problem persists, do the following:

Right-click an open area of the Windows taskbar (such as below the system clock), point to Toolbars, and then click Windows Media Player.

This removes the check mark beside Windows Media Player and turns off mini Player mode.

Restart your computer.

Reinstall Windows Media Player 10 (do not try to remove your existing copy of Windows Media Player 10 first).

Restart your computer again.

If you should have other non-WGA questions please visit our other communities for helpful information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/community.mspx .  Thank you for visiting the forum.

Lori MS
    Friday, June 6, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Hi Lori, sorry for shouting :-/ Thanks for trying. It all started with the WGA for WMP11 so I first turned to you. I do think that something needs to be done about the WGA pop-up window for WMP11, but as you stated this is not the venue for the problem.

Thanks again for all your help!

Friday, June 6, 2008 11:54 PM