Developer environment? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question, what is the intended developer environment for developing WHS add ins?

I currently have visual studio 2008 installed on my main computer.  I've copied the WHS api dlls to that machine and reference those in my projects.  I do my development and partial testing from that machine.  The final testing involves copying my .dll to the AddIns folder on my WHS machine.  Once copied I run the WHS console (remotely), install, test, uninstall.

The testing and debugging part is annoying.

Is it intended that I install VS2008 on my WHS machine and debug the console by attaching to the console process?  I've held back from doing that because I don't want to clutter my WHS machine up too much with unecessary software & dlls.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:04 AM

Answers

• The intent is probably that you test exactly as you're doing. You might want to consider testing in a virtual machine if what you're developing has a good chance of messing up WHS, but you can't really test an add-in outside of WHS.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Lliam,

Installing Visual Studio is not necesairy and I would not recommend it for a live WHS machine. In that case I would sugest installing WHS in a virtual test machine using VPC.

Also might also have a look at Brendan Grant's devolper tips at "http://www.brendangrant.com/WHS/WHSDevTips.htm"  (recommended). For simple development task I prefer using my development desktop using Brendan's Testloader and the Studio remote debugging service for remote debugging the real thing.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:12 PM

All replies

• The intent is probably that you test exactly as you're doing. You might want to consider testing in a virtual machine if what you're developing has a good chance of messing up WHS, but you can't really test an add-in outside of WHS.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:08 PM
  • Lliam,

Installing Visual Studio is not necesairy and I would not recommend it for a live WHS machine. In that case I would sugest installing WHS in a virtual test machine using VPC.

Also might also have a look at Brendan Grant's devolper tips at "http://www.brendangrant.com/WHS/WHSDevTips.htm"  (recommended). For simple development task I prefer using my development desktop using Brendan's Testloader and the Studio remote debugging service for remote debugging the real thing.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:12 PM

• Thanks guys!

Friday, February 22, 2008 8:59 AM