help in applying the fix for W10 and money plus RRS feed

• Question

• is there anyone that i can contact to show me how to install the fix for money I am not a computer person I just like using the money program I have used it for years. 

or have them install the fix

please let me know. 

Louise Pierce

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Louise

Download and install the country-appropriate version of Money from the first 2 posts in this forum. If in the US you will also need mnyob99.dll which you can download from there and replace the version on your PC with the patch. To do this locate mnyob99.dll on your PC by typing it into the search box, and make a note of where it is so you can find it using File Explorer, and then download the patch and replace your version with the patch.

Test it works using the sample file. Then copy your data file to the location of the sample file, probably in your document folder. Keep separate copies to avoid accident!

Microsoft stopped supporting MSMoney yonks ago so there is no-one 'official' to talk to. If you get stuck your local PC store, or a friend with PC competence, may know already (unlikely) but will certainly be able to figure out, using the posts in this forum and the files therein, how to proceed.

The good news you have reached the best place for help! Let us know how you get on.

Dr AS

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:21 AM
  • The Sample.mny file will be in the folder just above where you find mnyob99.dll (in MoneyCoreFiles). Do NOT put your file where Sample.mny is, you will not have full access to that location, and edits will not be saved in the file.

Put your data file in your Documents folder, or some other location that is not system protected. Do not put it in a folder that you have added to OneDrive, since that may attempt to upload the data file while it is open and being edited (bad!).

Make sure that your copy of Windows 10 is fully updated before running Money.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 3:12 PM
  • I'm sure Bob is correct. Just for interest using Money 2005 in UK there is no such dll file and no folder named MoneyCoreFiles. With some trepidation I allowed Money data files to be stored on OneDrive AND access them from another PC without any problems (so far!). I keep backups elsewhere of course.

Dr AS

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 4:59 PM
  • I'm sure Bob is correct. Just for interest using Money 2005 in UK there is no such dll file and no folder named MoneyCoreFiles. With some trepidation I allowed Money data files to be stored on OneDrive AND access them from another PC without any problems (so far!). I keep backups elsewhere of course.

Dr AS

I think there is a MoneyCoreFiles for Money 2005, but it is hidden. Check this folder:

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles"

In a command window, you could type this with the quotes.

dir "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles"

I don't know for sure about the DLL in 2005 or if it has the bug in 2005. Note the bug if present will sometimes have no symptoms for a time and then present a problem when the OS gets updated. I have a little program to search for the problem string and give a modified version. It only looks for a string and does a replacement.

You could paste this into a windows explorer /file explorer address box with quotes not permitted I think:

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:06 PM