WHS Console as install option RRS feed

• Question

• WHS console should be an option (radio button or checkbox) when installing the connector on a pc. Most of us will administer from a particular machine (or two). Eventhough the WHS console is password protected, is it really necessary for it to be visible on each pc?

Thanks.

Rob

Saturday, February 24, 2007 2:15 PM

All replies

• The console appears to be the only interface through which a user can access a computer's backups and restore files, so I think it has to be present on all home pcs. Otherwise, I would agree with you; it's not really needed on any but the main PC the WHS Administrator uses.

--
    Ken
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 2:31 PM
  • I've noticed that the console pops up on a client pc when there is a problem (can't recall a specific at the moment, anyone else seen this behavior?). The user is now wondering what is going on and what are they supposed to do! Not a problem if you are the Administrator. The only way to logon is with the WHS administrator password. Might not be a good idea for everyone in the household to have that password. Since all the pc's can be administered from a central location no need for it on all pc's. I am only advocating that the "WHS Console" item not be present in the list of selections when you click on the WHS icon. An alternative would be to have a "logon as" feature that would allow the WHS Administrator to logon to a pc without the console option.

From the "Backup and Restore help file:

"Your Windows Home Server administrator can also restore an individual file from your home computer backups. Talk to your Windows Home Server administrator if you need to recover a file from a home computer backup."

Rob

Saturday, February 24, 2007 4:04 PM
  • Okay, I've been experimenting with this a little, and I'm pretty sure that you will need the console on every home PC for the most seamless backup experience right now.

I tried two things: restoring a file from backup from the WHS desktop (through RDP) and restoring a file from a PC other than the one backed up. (Those are the two scenarios that would allow doing away with the console on the home PC) In the first case, you get a dialog that a backup must be viewed from a home PC, so it's not possible to push a restored file out from the WHS directly. In the second case, I was able to view the files in the backup, but there is still no way to push that file out to another PC. In order to make the file available, I would have to extract it and place it in a share (on the home PC I restored from or the WHS). Then the person who wanted the backed up file could pull it down from that location. Not terribly convenient.

Instead of removing the console, I think the answer is to allow users other than Administrator to log in to the console, but to limit what they can do. I think reasonable limitations would be:
    • A limited user could only view and restore from backups of the home PC they were currently using the console on.
    • A limited user either could not see, or could see in a "read only" mode, the "User Accounts," "Shared Folders," and "Server Storage" tabs.
    • A limited user either could not view, or could view only "read only", the "Windows Home Server Settings" dialog.
    My own thought would be to allow "Read Only" for the "User Accounts" and "Shared Folders" tabs, and "None" for the Server Storage" and "Windows Home Server Settings" options.

I have submitted this as a suggestion on Connect. If you like it, or want to comment on it, please do so here.
    --
    Ken
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 6:03 PM
  • I agree - there need to be something like a "limited user" access to the console with non-destructive access to various things. I'd like to vote for that but Connect has been down (?) for several days. For me anyway.

But I think it would be even better if one of the standard "shared folders" was something like "My PC Backups". That way any user could avoid the Console entirely and just go into My PC Backups, find the fiel they wanted to get back, and copy it down. Without going into the Consoel at all. This would not be a place to manage backups, just to do restores.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 2:05 PM