Permission for a restore file RRS feed

• Question

• My copy of MS Money 2005 won't allow me to run my data file.  So I have restored a backup.  However when I attempt to open the .mny file I get a message saying "You don't have permission to open this file.  Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission".

My machine is a stand-alone running W7, and I am the only administrator.  So why is it saying that I need admin permission, and what can I do to open the file.

All help gratefully accepted.

Friday, March 9, 2012 3:12 PM

All replies

• It is critical that your *.mny and *.mbf files are not within the ProgramFiles folder. Typically those files would be within your Documents folder.

I presume you are not in the US or Canada. In that case, when you open Money, Help->About should say you are using version 14.0.120.1105. If it does not, use the appropriate installation file pointed to in first posting in this forum.

Friday, March 9, 2012 4:27 PM
  • As suggested, the files are in My Documents and the Money program is in the Program folder of my C: drive.

I'm in the UK, and the Help screen does show Version 14.0.120.1105.

Can you suggest how I can get around the "You don't have permission..." problem?  Or where else I could go to to get some help.

Many thanks.

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:45 PM
  • When you restore, File->Restore a *.mbf file.  Do not restore to the "default location".  Instead Browse to your Documents folder, and choose a new name.

Say what OS you are using.

Try starting Money by right-clicking the launch icon and choosing RunAsAdministrator. This is mainly a diagnostic thing.

If that did not get you into your file, copy your *.mny file to a USB flash drive. Your next thing will be to create a new administrative user. Copy that *.mny file from the USB drive to the Documents folder of the new user. Open Money by double-clicking that *.mny file in Documents folder of the new user from Windows Explorer. Do you get in?

See you in another 10 days with your results? :-)

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:55 PM