WORKGROUP RRS feed

• Question

• ow do I set the workgroup?  All my other computers are set to my own workgroup, BLOODAXE. How do I add the WHS to the BLOODAXE workgroup?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:59 AM

Answers

• Workgroups: Workgroups are associations of convenience. Computers in the same workgroup, and on the same subnet, can see each other in Windows' Network Neighborhood. There's nothing really magical about a workgroup, though; you can access any computer on your network directly using a UNC path, or the Linux equivalent, no mater what workgroup (or domain) it's a member of.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but if you're going to install Ubuntu ASAP, I'm not sure why you care about anything related to Windows.

All that said, you log on to it the same way you log on to any other remote Windows computer: using Remote Desktop. For Windows Home Server, you'll use the account Administrator, and the password you set when you installed the connector on your first network computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 27, 2009 2:45 AM
  • The hacking cable lets me see what's happening on *my* hardware. And if I choose to change the OS then that's *my* right on *my* hardware.

As to the virus checker, when I disable virus-checking on the wife and kids XP boxes ( I refuse to have Vista on them, 7 shows more promise) I get approx 30% faster response. Im using AVG.

As a general point, if a machine does not have to constantly be looking over its shoulder about threats then it can get on with what it was built for. No virus checker ever added value to a computer. Its my right to choose to use a system where viruses simply do not matter and to protect my network with a perimeter firewall. I choose wherever feasible not to encumber my systems with unnecessary workload.

The scripts run timed backups to a Samba server and are hardly complex. Having said that, they have worked well for several years, I see no reason to mess with them if I can avoid it.  My RAID controller is b0rked and until a replacement becomes available at the right price, in the meantime I want to press the HP box into service. It came as part of a job lot, I did not specifically go out to buy a WHS box but the hardware (OK the 2x500 and 2x750 GB HDDs) were appealing and the price was right. I bought it, its mine, I'll do exactly what I like with it. Frankly it was a bonus on top of a deal mostly involving UPS's  Cisco routers and half-height cabinets.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:18 AM

All replies

• ow do I set the workgroup?  All my other computers are set to my own workgroup, BLOODAXE. How do I add the WHS to the BLOODAXE workgroup?
    Setting the workgroup on WHS is unsupported and not necessary.  However, if you want to do it anyway, you need to logon to the server desktop and set it there.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Setting the workgroup on WHS is unsupported and not necessary.  However, if you want to do it anyway, you need to logon to the server desktop and set it there.
    Setting the workgroup is *MOST DEFINITELY* necessary.  I should run round 7 other machines and remove them from BLOODAXE? Oh and do search and replace in all my scripts for BLOODAXE?

IM glad I got the EX475 second hand cos its going to cost $110 to get a hacking cable delivered. A good investment cos then the box will get Kuddled by a Karmic Koala. Then it will have an OS that does what *I* tell it to , when *I* say so on *my* terms.
    And it will be a sight faster seeing it won't need to waste 30% of its resources on a virus checker.

In the meantime, how do I logon to the server desktop?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Is a "hacking cable" the thing so you can plug in a monitor and a keyboard to the EX475? And the pupose of that would be to install something other than WHS on the box?

Where do you see a virus checker using 30% of the resourses?

What did you purchase this box for?  It will do what it does just fine with the workgroup name being workgroup.

These must be some fancy scripts.
    Grey
    Friday, November 27, 2009 12:28 AM
  • Workgroups: Workgroups are associations of convenience. Computers in the same workgroup, and on the same subnet, can see each other in Windows' Network Neighborhood. There's nothing really magical about a workgroup, though; you can access any computer on your network directly using a UNC path, or the Linux equivalent, no mater what workgroup (or domain) it's a member of.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but if you're going to install Ubuntu ASAP, I'm not sure why you care about anything related to Windows.

All that said, you log on to it the same way you log on to any other remote Windows computer: using Remote Desktop. For Windows Home Server, you'll use the account Administrator, and the password you set when you installed the connector on your first network computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 27, 2009 2:45 AM
  • The hacking cable lets me see what's happening on *my* hardware. And if I choose to change the OS then that's *my* right on *my* hardware.

As to the virus checker, when I disable virus-checking on the wife and kids XP boxes ( I refuse to have Vista on them, 7 shows more promise) I get approx 30% faster response. Im using AVG.

As a general point, if a machine does not have to constantly be looking over its shoulder about threats then it can get on with what it was built for. No virus checker ever added value to a computer. Its my right to choose to use a system where viruses simply do not matter and to protect my network with a perimeter firewall. I choose wherever feasible not to encumber my systems with unnecessary workload.

The scripts run timed backups to a Samba server and are hardly complex. Having said that, they have worked well for several years, I see no reason to mess with them if I can avoid it.  My RAID controller is b0rked and until a replacement becomes available at the right price, in the meantime I want to press the HP box into service. It came as part of a job lot, I did not specifically go out to buy a WHS box but the hardware (OK the 2x500 and 2x750 GB HDDs) were appealing and the price was right. I bought it, its mine, I'll do exactly what I like with it. Frankly it was a bonus on top of a deal mostly involving UPS's  Cisco routers and half-height cabinets.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:18 AM
  • Ken, thank you for the help with the Remote Desktop, all sorted now.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:46 AM