Removing old PCs from my subscription RRS feed

• Question

• I want to activate OneCare on my laptop but I'm not sure if it will work. I've replaced my old desktop PC with a laptop and I don't want onecare for that PC anymore. So at the moment I have OneCare on;

1) Desktop PC running Vista x64 (I currently use this)

2) Work Laptop

3) Desktop PC running XP (sold. Don't use anymore)

I've activated OneCare on all these computers over the years but now I want to remove the second desktop and replace it with a laptop.

Is there a way to do this? I couldn't find an option to manage the computers associated with my Live ID.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:01 PM

Answers

• If One Care was uninstalled from the old PC there shouldn't be an issue with adding a new computer.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:52 PM
  • Optionally, open OneCare on one of the PCs in your Circle and make it a Hub PC. Then, expand the details in Your OneCare Circle on the hub next to the PC you wish to remove from the subscription. There will be a link to click to remove the PC.

However, as Jim noted, you can simply install on the new PC since OneCare is no longer running on the old desktop PC.

-steve

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:05 PM

All replies

• If One Care was uninstalled from the old PC there shouldn't be an issue with adding a new computer.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:52 PM
  • Does it need to be uninstalled? does it send back information to Microsoft?

I formatted the drive I didn't go through the un-install process.
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:12 PM
  • If you formatted the drive you should have no problems adding the new laptop to your subscription.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:15 PM
  • Optionally, open OneCare on one of the PCs in your Circle and make it a Hub PC. Then, expand the details in Your OneCare Circle on the hub next to the PC you wish to remove from the subscription. There will be a link to click to remove the PC.

However, as Jim noted, you can simply install on the new PC since OneCare is no longer running on the old desktop PC.

-steve

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Making my PC a hub showed me the options I was originally looking for. I had 4 computer associated with my account so I just removed the old one.

Thanks for the help.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 8:59 PM
  • You're welcome. Glad we could help. I will state that removing the PC from the account via the Hub/Circle interface is completely optional. As long as only 3 PCs are actually running OneCare, even if more are listed in your Circle, the old entries are not active and won't affect the use of OneCare.

-steve

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:21 AM