Validation of XP pro RRS feed

• Question

• A coworker recently rebuilt my home computer for me, and installed an unlicensed version of windows xp. I had purchased xp for the old computer and asked him to install that, but he said his way was "better".  Well, now I'm getting a notification that the version he installed is invalid. 

I've tried re-installing XP from the disk I have, but get a message that because the version that is on the computer is newer, I'll have to reboot from the CD drive to install.  I've done that and restarted the computer, and am still getting the message that the version is invalid.  In the re-install process, I was not prompted for the product key that's on the back page of the folder the disk came in. 

Is there a way to overwrite, or uninstall the old (invalid) and install the new (legit) version)?

Thanks

Saturday, May 27, 2006 8:44 PM

Answers

• CRS58,

You're welcome.

The MS staff was working on that keychanger utility for quite a while and just released the version that does the "quick switcheroo" this past Tuesday.  Up until then it was either a repair reinstallation or a clean installation.

Good Luck!

Sunday, May 28, 2006 2:24 AM

All replies

• CRS58,

Sounds like a case of Home vs Pro.

If indeed your "good" XP is Home and the "bad" currently installed XP is Pro, XP Home's Setup is not capable of rolling back an XP Pro installation to XP Home while doing a repair reinstallation, that's the one that preserves your installed programs and data.

You will have to offload any data you want to save, do a clean installation of XP Home (the legitimate one), then reinstall all programs and copy your data back.

XP Pro is not a "better" OS than Home.  The are the same OS, they just have different feature sets, and the heavy-duty networking capabilities are not needed in Home.

Here is a good tutorial on a clean installation: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp  When you delete all existing partitions on the hard disk drive, you achive the "clean" part.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 9:40 PM
  • The legit version is XP Professional and the bogus version was also XP Pro.

I'll take a look at the tutorial, but I was kind of hoping not to have to go in and reinstall everything (particularly i-tunes, which took an entire week to load all my cd's onto).

Sunday, May 28, 2006 1:01 AM
  • CRS58,

The other possibility is Service Pack level.  If the legit XP Pro is SP1, you won't be able to do a repair reinstallation on an XP Pro SP2 installation--you'll get the error about one being newer than the other.

Since you are saying that both the legit XP and the installed bad XP are both XP Pro, the keychanger utility ought to work:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409  If the legit copy of XP you have is a full retail copy, the keychanger should accept that copy's Product Key and change the installed copy to a legit copy using that key.  It will scan your installed XP for cracked system files, replace what needs to be replaced from Windows Update.

Back up your data "just in case" and run that puppy.  Post back telling us how you make out.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 1:16 AM
  • Perfectamundo! 

I did a quick back up of critical files, used the link and did the key change, restarted and no message.  I did a validation check on the website to confirm, and it worked.

Thanks!

Sunday, May 28, 2006 2:11 AM
  • CRS58,

You're welcome.

The MS staff was working on that keychanger utility for quite a while and just released the version that does the "quick switcheroo" this past Tuesday.  Up until then it was either a repair reinstallation or a clean installation.

Good Luck!

Sunday, May 28, 2006 2:24 AM