LIVE Mesh remote is not available RRS feed

• Question

• I'm connected remotely to another machine and i'm trying to access a mesh folder from it but when i try to view devices it says 'LIVE Mesh remote is not available' and on mesh.com it says 'This device is synchronizing but cannot be remotely accessed. Check the Live Mesh notifier on the device to see if Live Mesh remote desktop enhancements need to be installed.'

The remote computer that i want to sync folders from is not behind a firewall and both computers are up to date.

What could this be caused by?
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:37 PM

Answers

• Whytey19 said:

Yes i want to share/sync a folder on PC#2 so i can access them in PC#1

Gotcha.
    Okay. Since you are remotely connected to PC #2, open Windows Explorer on PC #2 and select the folder that exists on PC#2 in the detail pane of Explorer and right click, add to Mesh.
    Once it has been added, it will sync to the Live Desktop and a blue folder will appear on PC #1 for you to accept/configure the sync for.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:30 PM

All replies

•  To be sure that I understand -

Is Live Mesh installed on both PCs?

When you say you connected remotely to another machine, how have you connected to that machine? Do you mean that you are trying to connect remotely to it?

If Live Mesh is installed on both PCs, and you have made a local folder be a Live Mesh folder on PC #1, that folder is synchronizing with the Live Desktop. It is available for PC #2 if it is already in your Mesh. Are you trying to access that PC via Live Mesh Remote Desktop in order to configure the Sync on that PC?

I'm not clear on the configuration and what you are actually trying to do...

-steve

Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Yes, MESH is installed on both machines and i am currently viewing it now.
    the problem is i cant see the SYNCED folders from the machine i am connected too

yes i am trying to configure the sync remotely

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ms3om1.jpg
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Is that screen capture of the notifier on the local machine or the remote machine?

So, you are connected remotely to PC #2 and want to add a folder to the Mesh that is on that PC?

Or you have already added the folder from PC #1 (the local PC) and it is synchronized with the Live Desktop and you now want to configure the remote PC #2 to sync that folder to a location on PC #2 - in essence, accept the sync/configure the sync for an offered folder?

-steve

Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:24 PM
  • Yes i want to share/sync a folder on PC#2 so i can access them in PC#1
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:26 PM
  • I'll add that if my assumption about the scenario is correct for the second description - you wish to accept the sync on the remote PC while connected via Remote Desktop, you should see a blue folder on the desktop of PC #2 and be able to click that folder to access the settings to accept the sync to the default location of configure it to sync with a local, existing folder on PC #2. If the blue folder is not appearing on the desktop of PC #2, it has not yet been offered to it  - perhaps because it has not yet completed synchronizing to the Live Desktop from PC #1.

-steve

Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Whytey19 said:

Yes i want to share/sync a folder on PC#2 so i can access them in PC#1

Gotcha.
    Okay. Since you are remotely connected to PC #2, open Windows Explorer on PC #2 and select the folder that exists on PC#2 in the detail pane of Explorer and right click, add to Mesh.
    Once it has been added, it will sync to the Live Desktop and a blue folder will appear on PC #1 for you to accept/configure the sync for.
    -steve
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Hello Stephen.  You were very helpful with OneCare and it's nice to see you here.

I believe that I am having a similar problem.  I have Live Mesh installed on two (2) PCs.  In the past, all worked fine.  I hadn't synced in a while so I connected today.  Both machines signed on successfully and are currently syncing but in the "View devices" notifier on each machine, there is the yellow exclamation triangle warning symbol on both the respective local and remote machine.

If I click on "Manage devices," the mesh.com/Web/Devices.aspx site is launced and if I select either the local or remote PC, the message "This device is synchronizing but cannot be remotely accessed. Check the Live Mesh notifier on the device to see if Live Mesh remote desktop enhancements need to be installed." is displayed.  It also says to check the notifier to see if desktop enhancements need to be installed.  I can no enhancements anywhere in the notifier.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

Thanks.

Monday, March 16, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Hi, drtdk.

Nice to be here. :-) I'm learning Live Mesh along with everyone else, but am glad to help when I can.

Tell us more about your PCs. What operating systems are they running? What version is showing for the Live Mesh client on both PCs? Did remote work in the past? Have you rebooted both PCs and tried again?

-steve

Monday, March 16, 2009 2:00 PM