Client connector web page errors RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running WHS 2011 with no issues for a good few months now, but I was getting to the point of wanting to expand the functionality a bit, so I checked out installing Wordpress so I could have an Intranet.  I used the Web Platform Installer, set up a Wordpress instance, messed it up, killed it all and reinstalled again, then finally set about putting on everything I needed.  And for a while, everything was fine.  Until now.

It's not that this has suddenly occurred, I think it was just lying in wait to get me.  I wanted to remotely access the server and couldn't.  On checking IIS I noticed the whole WHS website was completely gone!  I installed another instance of WHS on a spare box, copied everything off and put it back onto my live server.  The remote site is now working nicely (or seems to be).  So I set about rebuilding the spare box, which needed doing anyway, and now I find I can't get to the client connector install and I've run out of ideas to fix it.

If I go to the usual http://server/connect address, I get a 404 error.  If I try and force it with http://server:65510/connect I get the error "Server Error in '/Connect' Application."  I get the exact same responses using the IP address.  And it's the same on every other PC, all of which have had the connector installed previously.

Like I say, everything else works.

I've tried stopping the Wordpress site and that doesn't help.  I tried changing the port and that didn't work either.  I've tried copying the 'Package' folder on the server to my PC to install it by hand and it won't do anything.  I've tried 'iisreset' as well, but that didn't help.

I want to avoid a reinstall as I've got over 2TB of data which will take days to back up.  I will if I have no other choice, but if anyone has a fix, even if it's just a method of manually installing the client connector, which will save me a rebuild and reconfiguring all the apps, you'll be a life saver!

Lee

Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:39 AM

Answers

• ... from the spanned volume with it all on. ...

So I take it from this that you're using Windows "RAID" features, or other RAID technology perhaps? Please don't, unless you have an extremely robust backup strategy. Multi-volume arrays are statistically less reliable than the least reliable disk in the array, and RAID (any level) is not recommended as a data protection technology, only as a high availability technology.

And if you have some overriding reason to accept the increased risk, formulate a backup strategy that works for you. Understand the limits of the tools you choose, get informed on the options, and make intelligent choices.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, January 21, 2013 6:49 AM
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:59 PM

All replies

• If you've been doing regular backups of the system partition on your server, you can try a restore. I don't guarantee that will fix your problem, but it's worth a shot. If you haven't been doing regular backups, you will probably have to try a reinstallation.

Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:02 AM
  • Unfortunately, backing up the server is the one remaining task I've not done.  You'd think that working in the industry would tell you that it should be the first thing, wouldn't you?

Okay, looks like a reinstall then.  I'd best fish out some USB hard drives to back the data up, I don't trust MS enough to risk the data being recoverable from the spanned volume with it all on.

Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:59 PM
  • ... from the spanned volume with it all on. ...

So I take it from this that you're using Windows "RAID" features, or other RAID technology perhaps? Please don't, unless you have an extremely robust backup strategy. Multi-volume arrays are statistically less reliable than the least reliable disk in the array, and RAID (any level) is not recommended as a data protection technology, only as a high availability technology.

And if you have some overriding reason to accept the increased risk, formulate a backup strategy that works for you. Understand the limits of the tools you choose, get informed on the options, and make intelligent choices.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Monday, January 21, 2013 6:49 AM
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:59 PM