Remote Desktop Connection time out RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having an issue with a time out message when I try to access a desktop remotely through WHS. I have no issue with accessing shared folders on the server. I even get the actual log in prompt for the password to access WHS itself, but get the same time out message. I've been reading and trying diffrent solutions listed here with no results. Any ideas to resolve my problem would be appreciated.
    Monday, April 5, 2010 12:48 AM

All replies

• I'm having an issue with a time out message when I try to access a desktop remotely through WHS. I have no issue with accessing shared folders on the server. I even get the actual log in prompt for the password to access WHS itself, but get the same time out message. I've been reading and trying diffrent solutions listed here with no results. Any ideas to resolve my problem would be appreciated.
    What is the exact error message?  I assume when you say, "I even get the actual log in prompt for the password to access WHS itself", you mean you get the message even when trying to open the WHS Console through the Remote Access website?
    Monday, April 5, 2010 1:01 AM
  • Hi guys,

I have the same problem. I connect to my WHS through "Windows Home Server Remote Access" website, browse the Shared Folders download and upload files without any problems, but when I try to get remote access to Windows Home Server Console or any othe my home PC which are in the list, I have the error message "The remote connection to the computer timed out. Please connect again."

Remote access right is granted for User account which I use.

Monday, April 5, 2010 8:53 AM
  • Likely the location from which you're attempting to connect (your office?) has intentionally blocked the port being used for the connection.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 5, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Thanks for your response kariya21:

When I attempt to connect to a Remote Desktop (XP or Win 7) I get the screen that indicates that a website wants to start a remote connection. I click on connect and get the message connecting to PC and after about 20 seconds I get “The remote connection to this computer has timed out. Please connect again.” When I attempt to connect directly to the Homeserver, I get the log in box for the server password, but get the same time out message as  above. Do you have any ideas? I have no problems accessing the shared folders on the server, just can’t connect to any desktop.

Thanks for any help!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:13 AM
  • Thanks for your response kariya21:

When I attempt to connect to a Remote Desktop (XP or Win 7) I get the screen that indicates that a website wants to start a remote connection. I click on connect and get the message connecting to PC and after about 20 seconds I get “The remote connection to this computer has timed out. Please connect again.” When I attempt to connect directly to the Homeserver, I get the log in box for the server password, but get the same time out message as  above. Do you have any ideas? I have no problems accessing the shared folders on the server, just can’t connect to any desktop.

Thanks for any help!

As Ken said, perhaps the necessary outbound port is being blocked.  Where are you trying it from?  Have you tried from a different location (i.e. a friend's house, Starbucks, etc.)?
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:05 AM
  • I've installed Windows Home Server Toolkit v1.1 and here is the result of diagnostic.

Checking if Remote Desktop Connection is enabled on your home server......
        PASS: Remote Desktop connection is enabled on your Home Server.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Checking if Remote Desktop Connection is allowed by Group Policy......
        PASS: Remote Desktop connection is allowed by Group Policy.
    Checking Windows Firewall settings on your Home Server......
        PASS: Windows Firewall is enabled on your Home Server.
    Checking if Exception is allowed by Windows Firewall......
        PASS: Exception is allowed by Windows Firewall.
    Checking if Remote Desktop proxy port is allowed by Windows Firewall......
        PASS: Remote Desktop proxy port is allowed
    Checking if Remote Desktop is allowed by Windows Firewall......
        PASS: Remote Desktop is allowed by Windows Firewall.
    Checking Website: "RemoteAccess"
    Checking path: "c:\inetpub\remote"
        PASS: Website RemoteAccess files are ok.
    Checking Website: "PublicLanding"
    Checking path: "c:\inetpub\home"
        PASS: Website PublicLanding files are ok.
    Checking Website: "Welcome"
    Checking path: "c:\inetpub\upnp"
        PASS: Website Welcome files are ok.
        PASS: End checking Windows Home Server website files......

Checking IIS service status...
        PASS: IIS service status: Running

Checking Windows Home Server App Pool Status......
        PASS: Windows Home Server AppPool is on.
    Checking default IIS site on your Windows Home Server......
        PASS: Default website is Windows Home Server Site

It seems everything is OK but I still have Remote Desktop Connection time out.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 6:28 AM
  • From what location are you attempting the connection? If from your home, try some other location. If your office, they may intentionally block the port used by the Remote Desktop proxy, so (again) try some other location.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:11 AM