[help!] Keep record divided into 2 business unit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,
    I'm in trouble with my testing server with crm 4.0 (Workgroup).
    My business got two office and 4 persons act on crm, 2 on them work in both offices and the other 2 should work and see only own records.
    So... I've tried to create two bussiness unit (thinking that tehy act as autonomous container). First problem was to put associate the user to right business unit. As i've said before i got 2 roaming users that must have access to records of both offices. I noticed that i can not associate one user to more then one business unit, so i create 2 teams and linked each one with one business unit (so each team contain the roaming users and the "fixed" user).
    Now i wanna know if my way is right or will not help me to reach my goal.
    Point number 2: I've created a personalized entity, but is an entity that is needed by both office. Actually that entity is visible only in one business unit. I've just tried to export and import (with other user) that custom entity with the result that now i can see the custom entity when i logon with the user of the other office but i can see their records too! So that isn't what I'm looking for! I should create custom entity using different user for both offices, double my work?... Or im doing something wrong?
    Last thing i wanna ask you: when i import some records into the crm there is a way to associate em to a business unit instead a singole user?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my English Wink
    Friday, September 12, 2008 7:50 AM

Answers

•  

Organization level permission means that the user can perform whatever the action you assign the permission for on all records in any business unit.

For example, if you made a user a member of a security role that had organizational level delete access on accounts then the user could delete any account in the crm database regardless of who owned the account.

Individual records do not belong to a business unit - it is who owns the record that is important and whether the record is shared with another user or team.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 5:22 PM

All replies

•  

You are right to use two business units and it is correct that a user can only belong to one business unit.

However, security roles can be used to control which records users can see. For your users that should only see the records in their own business unit make sure that you give them business unit level access. to the relevant records in their security role.

For the users that need to see all records give them organisation level access in their security role.  You'll need to set the permissions for each record type and each type of access (e.g. read, write etc).

You don't need to use teams in this case.

Custom entities are available to all users in a CRM organisation - but you do need to give users access to the custom entity via a security role. When a custom entity is created only users in the System Administrator role can see the custom entity.

I suggest that you read up on how security roles work in CRM - that will help you solve you problems.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Correct me Feridun Kadir (MCT) if I am wrong. If we give organization level permission user can see all the records from parent Business unit. I am also facing same problem but my business units have 3 leavel . 1 is parent under that sub units And some more business unit in next level.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 10:07 AM
  •  

Organization level permission means that the user can perform whatever the action you assign the permission for on all records in any business unit.

For example, if you made a user a member of a security role that had organizational level delete access on accounts then the user could delete any account in the crm database regardless of who owned the account.

Individual records do not belong to a business unit - it is who owns the record that is important and whether the record is shared with another user or team.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 5:22 PM
  • Hi  Feridun Kadir

My Concern is I don’t want to give read access to parent business unit I just want to make him manager of 2 BU which are in same level. So that he can look after both the BU.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 5:21 AM
  • Hi,

I don't think there is a simple way to do what you want.

It seems that you want to give someone rights to two business units that are in differing parts of the organisation structure. The security model doesn't specifically cater for this - unless someone else knows better.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:22 PM
  • I may be missing something here because I am jumping in the middle of this but if you have a situation where you want someone to see the records in 2 different BU's then you have two options:

Create another BU and associate the other 2 BU's to the new BU.  Place the Manager in the top BU and give him full access at the BU level.  He will then be able to see all the records in the 3 BU's.

Option 2, put the Manager in one of the 2 BU's and then share all records from the other BU with the Manager.  This approach is labor intensive and require maintenance as newly created records need to be shared with the Manager.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 2:38 PM
  •  

I agree with you on Option 2. This would meet the writer's needs.

Option 1 covers a structure that he is trying to avoid.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:33 PM
  • Thank U all your option 2 gave me a right path to work further...
    Friday, December 12, 2008 4:34 AM