File Sharing Between Computers on Home Server Network RRS feed

• Question

• Being a network novice I would appreciate any assistance.  Does WHS have the capability to permit a client on the network to access files on another client?  I have tried Remote Access but I would like to be able to see have access to the other clients drives through some method like Explorer.  Can this be done?  If so, how?

Monday, January 26, 2009 3:42 AM

Answers

• Willing To Learn said:

Being a network novice I would appreciate any assistance.  Does WHS have the capability to permit a client on the network to access files on another client?

No, but in your local network it doesn't matter.  Just create a share on client 1 and give permissions on that share so that the user on client 2 can see it.  You need to bypass WHS completely.

Willing To Learn said:

I have tried Remote Access but I would like to be able to see have access to the other clients drives through some method like Explorer.  Can this be done?

The only way it could be done is to use the Remote Access website to connect to the desktop of client 2 using Remote Desktop Connection, then browse to the shares on client 1 that way.  The problem is that the only OSes that allow Remote Desktop Connection are XP Professional, XP MCE 2005, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate and Vista Enterprise.

Willing To Learn said:

If so, how?

Monday, January 26, 2009 4:32 AM

All replies

• Willing To Learn said:

Being a network novice I would appreciate any assistance.  Does WHS have the capability to permit a client on the network to access files on another client?

No, but in your local network it doesn't matter.  Just create a share on client 1 and give permissions on that share so that the user on client 2 can see it.  You need to bypass WHS completely.

Willing To Learn said:

I have tried Remote Access but I would like to be able to see have access to the other clients drives through some method like Explorer.  Can this be done?

The only way it could be done is to use the Remote Access website to connect to the desktop of client 2 using Remote Desktop Connection, then browse to the shares on client 1 that way.  The problem is that the only OSes that allow Remote Desktop Connection are XP Professional, XP MCE 2005, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate and Vista Enterprise.

Willing To Learn said:

If so, how?

Monday, January 26, 2009 4:32 AM
  • Hi,

as kariya already said, this is fully out of scope of the WHS. The only method is to use file sharing and set appropriate permissions directly on the clients. Now it depends from the operating system, if you need to allow guest access to the files (home editions or systems with Simple File Sharing enabled) or if you can control more detailed per user (if on the sharing system and the system from which you want to access the user has the same name and password).

The Windows help gives you more information appropriate to your version.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:31 AM