none
Balancing HDD RRS feed

• Question

•   can i start this process or is it done at certain intervals? or is it working in the background and only let's me know when it's done?  i just added a drive cause i was almost out of space after moving all my movies to my server and after 30mins i still can't move the rest of my movies to the server even though the console says i have 935.79gb of free space.  is there a way that i can tell if it's balancing and how long til it's done?
    Friday, September 19, 2008 3:19 AM

Answers

• Balancing is a job, which works automatically, but does not move old data off, unless the free disk space on that volume is lower than 10 GByte. See the description how it works here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisgray/archive/2008/07/04/a-brief-description-of-the-balancing-algorithms-used-in-power-pack-1-s-drive-extender.aspx

Which operating system do you use on your client?
    If it is Vista, it will still check only, how much space is free on drive D: on the WHS before it starts to write.
    So if you selected a bunch of big files, Vista will reject to copy these, if the total size is bigger than the remaining size on drive D:.
    Especially on historical build and used servers you may run into the situation, that files in shared folders and the backup data are remaining on D: drive.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Friday, September 19, 2008 3:17 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 7:20 AM

All replies

• Balancing is a job, which works automatically, but does not move old data off, unless the free disk space on that volume is lower than 10 GByte. See the description how it works here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisgray/archive/2008/07/04/a-brief-description-of-the-balancing-algorithms-used-in-power-pack-1-s-drive-extender.aspx

Which operating system do you use on your client?
    If it is Vista, it will still check only, how much space is free on drive D: on the WHS before it starts to write.
    So if you selected a bunch of big files, Vista will reject to copy these, if the total size is bigger than the remaining size on drive D:.
    Especially on historical build and used servers you may run into the situation, that files in shared folders and the backup data are remaining on D: drive.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Friday, September 19, 2008 3:17 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 7:20 AM
  • You haven't told us much about how your server is configured, but probably you filled up your system (and perhaps only?) drive before you added more storage. If that's the case, you can try the LZReallocator tool (near the bottom of that page) that another forum member wrote. Note that this tool is completely unsupported. It has done no harm when I've tried it, however.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 19, 2008 11:30 AM