Console Software Worked Yesterday, Can't Find Server Today RRS feed

• Question

• My primary win 7 PC talked to the server o.k. yesterday, but console won't connect again.  I see the server o.k., have drive links to it and can even display photos on the server.  I've heard that running console on the server is NOT a good thing, so how do I ever get a console again?  This thing is way too picky and flaky in its operation -- guess I should not depend on it saving any data either.

Thanks & Merry Christmas to all,
    Mike
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:30 PM

Answers

• WHS really doesn't like security software.  I removed the BitDefender from my server and I can see the console from my windows 7 PC again.  I guess the server is o.k. without security (to speak of, since MS uses some -- I hope). 

Next I will try the remote access stuff.  Does microsoft really give us a free URL to access it?  I read that in Paul's blog/review from 2007.

Merry Xmas for all in Germany.  Did you get snow for Xmas?  Here, in wisconsin, we have about 2 feet on the ground and an ice storm on the way for xmas day (who wanted that for xmas, anyway).

Mike & Gems
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:06 PM

All replies

• Did you try a reboot of client and server?
    Is the server up to date (version number in the console under Settings/Resources should be 2423)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:48 PM
  • WHS really doesn't like security software.  I removed the BitDefender from my server and I can see the console from my windows 7 PC again.  I guess the server is o.k. without security (to speak of, since MS uses some -- I hope). 

Next I will try the remote access stuff.  Does microsoft really give us a free URL to access it?  I read that in Paul's blog/review from 2007.

Merry Xmas for all in Germany.  Did you get snow for Xmas?  Here, in wisconsin, we have about 2 feet on the ground and an ice storm on the way for xmas day (who wanted that for xmas, anyway).

Mike & Gems
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:06 PM
  • The problem is not security software per se, it is security software, which is not Windows Home Server aware. Avast and a few others have Antivirus software which is designed for WHS, and all the other security stuff (besides the built in firewall) is usually not necessary on a system, which is not used as a desktop system.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:55 AM