Win7RTM vs. WHS: wake to backup not a problem here? RRS feed

• Question

• I note that the WHS team blog discussion of the delay of PP3 says "Windows 7 client PCs will not automatically wake up to do a backup" until PP3.

Mine _seems_ to be working fine. Am I missing something or is the issue here PP3 is supposed to solve, Real Soon Now, not a pervasive one?
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:17 PM

All replies

• Dick:

Perhaps the description is a misnomer. My W7 PCs do wake up to perform a backup, but they wake without connectivity to the server. So, after 2 minutes of inactivity they go back to sleep without a backup being performed.

I am working around the issue with a scheduled task that restarts the WHSConnector service each time the PC wakes from sleep. This seems to work fine for me.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:24 AM
  • I just reviewed it. My Win7 x64 Ultimate RTM box is showing, every morning, nine of them, since I built it, successful Automatic backups in the WHS Console. I know it didn't sleep every one of those nights because it took me a day or two to remember to clear the setting where MediaCenterServer prevents sleep. But I cleared that up four or five days ago and now it seems to be sleeping reasonably reliably. I've found it properly asleep in the morning. I haven't actually tried to restore from any of the claimed backups, but I'm concluding that this is not a 100% of the population problem.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:22 AM