HEY JEREMIAH...WHATS THE DEAL? RRS feed

• Question

• Jeremiah,

I read most of the threads here as well as post.  It strikes me that the vast majority of the threads have an obvious similarity...a "common thread" if you will.  Although I'm sure everyone here is grateful for your repeated reasurrances, quite frankly, after a while, "we have discovered a problem and it should be fixed soon" is not really an answer.  The people posting here are interested in knowing what is going on, why, and how to repair.  The fact that most applied for the Tools Beta when it was introduced as a way to help develop tools to try to help solve index and SERP issues is an indication that these people are proactive.  Generally speaking, an answer of "we have discovered a problem in the <fill in the blank>"  begs the question because it was probobly the person asking the question that discovered the problem in the first place.  So although I can only speak for myself, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM with:

1.  Validation of sites for "Tools"
    2.  The crawl Rate
    3   Update of SERPS
    4.  The broken submission portal
    5.  Disappearence of cached pages
    6.  Lack of pages indexed
    7.  Disappearence of pages once highly ranked in SERPS
    8.  Etc.

I received the following email from Live Search Global Escalations yesterday.

______________________________________________________________________________
    Dec 12, 2007 2:51 PM  

subject
    RE: SRX1051263277ID - Live SearchSurprisether  

mailed-by
    css.one.microsoft.com  
    Hi, Bruce

We have investigated your issue and at this time have done a Content Removal of the reported sites. Please allow 3-5 Business Days for changes to take affect.  If you have more question, please post and discuss on our http://webmaster.live.com/ blog.

Thanks, James
    Microsoft Global Escalations

I'm thrilled that they are taking my issue seriously and report that is to be fixed but ther is no explaination of why everything is so screwed up.  Can you shed any light on the above issues?

Thanks,

Thursday, December 13, 2007 6:15 PM

Answers

•  solenarodesigns2 wrote:
    Jeremiah,

I read most of the threads here as well as post.  It strikes me that the vast majority of the threads have an obvious similarity...a "common thread" if you will.  Although I'm sure everyone here is grateful for your repeated reasurrances, quite frankly, after a while, "we have discovered a problem and it should be fixed soon" is not really an answer.  The people posting here are interested in knowing what is going on, why, and how to repair.  The fact that most applied for the Tools Beta when it was introduced as a way to help develop tools to try to help solve index and SERP issues is an indication that these people are proactive.  Generally speaking, an answer of "we have discovered a problem in the <fill in the blank>"  begs the question because it was probobly the person asking the question that discovered the problem in the first place.  So although I can only speak for myself, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM with:

2.  The crawl Rate
    3   Update of SERPS
    8.  Etc.

There is a lot here :-).   I will do my best to answer your questions and I hope I will satisfy.  

So lets start at the top:

We had a bug when we launched the public beta of our tools related to certain publishing systems.  We are in the progress of shipping a fix for the issue.  We appologize that it has taken so long to fix, but we had some network issues that prevented a fix sooner.

2.  The crawl Rate

So I have seen a lot of questions with the crawl rate.  The basic answer is that we don't comment on rate of crawl, but we are working on improving the crawler all the time. We want to provide webmasters with some tools to help us understand their crawl needs in the mean time feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer as best I can.

3   Update of SERPS
    This could mean a lot.  I am not sure there is one answer to the varied questions I have read. Each webmasters situation is different.  It takes a bit of time to resolve these issues, but we are looking into them.

I have been working with the support team on this issue. At this moment, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the submission portal.  However,  there were some problems but it also appears that some sites that were linking to your site Solorendesigns.com may have had malformed URLs.  It seems that your site is showing up as expected in the SERP.

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=solenaro+designs&form=QBRE

I am still digging into this and will post in more detail once I feel I have a complete resolution on the issue.

Ufortunately there is no one answer at this time for this issue. I am looking into, that it is the most I can tell you at this time.

There are a lot of reasons why sites don't get indexed.  One of the big challenges for webmasters is ensuring that the sites that link to them are quality sites.  As a webmaster, you need to ensure not only that there is great content on your site, but that you get the right kind of people and sites linking to you. 

So one of the best ways to ensure that MSNBot finds your website is to include valuable content that other site owners want to link to. MSNBot crawls billions of web pages, not every page is indexed.

For a site to be indexed, it must meet specific standards for content, design, and technical implementation. Ensure that your site follows our indexing guidelines. I recommend reading the techniques section.  A lot of sites that are ranking low, may have a issue that is being caused (whether inadvertantly or not) by items in this section.

This is one of those issues that there are as many reasons as there are webpages.  The general reason is that each time the index is updated, previous relevance rankings are revised. Therefore, you may notice a shift in your website’s ranking as new sites are added and others become obsolete.

Live Search website ranking is completely automated. The Live Search ranking algorithm analyzes factors such as web page content, the number and quality of websites that link to your pages, and the relevance of your website’s content to keywords. The algorithm is complex and is never human-mediated. You can't pay to boost your website’s relevance ranking;

Suggested reading for improving your ranking:

Guidelines for successful indexing

8.  Etc.

So here is my humble apology. We know you need more data and we are working on providing it.  We have some big things in store as we move out of our public Beta.  That said we also know there are a lot of issues you want addressed.   This is your business and your success depends on the search engines.  Having been a content publisher I understand that.   It takes some time to answer your questions, because I am looking for the root cause of the problems. Sometimes the problem is on our side, sometimes the sites have issues. 

So in the mean time I will try and answer your questions as best I can.  Hopes this helps even a little and thanks for taking the time to stay engaged with us.

Jeremiah

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:50 PM

All replies

•  solenarodesigns2 wrote:
    Jeremiah,

2.  The crawl Rate
    3   Update of SERPS
    8.  Etc.

There is a lot here :-).   I will do my best to answer your questions and I hope I will satisfy.  

So lets start at the top:

We had a bug when we launched the public beta of our tools related to certain publishing systems.  We are in the progress of shipping a fix for the issue.  We appologize that it has taken so long to fix, but we had some network issues that prevented a fix sooner.

2.  The crawl Rate

So I have seen a lot of questions with the crawl rate.  The basic answer is that we don't comment on rate of crawl, but we are working on improving the crawler all the time. We want to provide webmasters with some tools to help us understand their crawl needs in the mean time feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer as best I can.

3   Update of SERPS
    This could mean a lot.  I am not sure there is one answer to the varied questions I have read. Each webmasters situation is different.  It takes a bit of time to resolve these issues, but we are looking into them.

I have been working with the support team on this issue. At this moment, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the submission portal.  However,  there were some problems but it also appears that some sites that were linking to your site Solorendesigns.com may have had malformed URLs.  It seems that your site is showing up as expected in the SERP.

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=solenaro+designs&form=QBRE

I am still digging into this and will post in more detail once I feel I have a complete resolution on the issue.

Ufortunately there is no one answer at this time for this issue. I am looking into, that it is the most I can tell you at this time.

There are a lot of reasons why sites don't get indexed.  One of the big challenges for webmasters is ensuring that the sites that link to them are quality sites.  As a webmaster, you need to ensure not only that there is great content on your site, but that you get the right kind of people and sites linking to you. 

So one of the best ways to ensure that MSNBot finds your website is to include valuable content that other site owners want to link to. MSNBot crawls billions of web pages, not every page is indexed.

For a site to be indexed, it must meet specific standards for content, design, and technical implementation. Ensure that your site follows our indexing guidelines. I recommend reading the techniques section.  A lot of sites that are ranking low, may have a issue that is being caused (whether inadvertantly or not) by items in this section.

This is one of those issues that there are as many reasons as there are webpages.  The general reason is that each time the index is updated, previous relevance rankings are revised. Therefore, you may notice a shift in your website’s ranking as new sites are added and others become obsolete.

Live Search website ranking is completely automated. The Live Search ranking algorithm analyzes factors such as web page content, the number and quality of websites that link to your pages, and the relevance of your website’s content to keywords. The algorithm is complex and is never human-mediated. You can't pay to boost your website’s relevance ranking;

Suggested reading for improving your ranking:

Guidelines for successful indexing

8.  Etc.

So here is my humble apology. We know you need more data and we are working on providing it.  We have some big things in store as we move out of our public Beta.  That said we also know there are a lot of issues you want addressed.   This is your business and your success depends on the search engines.  Having been a content publisher I understand that.   It takes some time to answer your questions, because I am looking for the root cause of the problems. Sometimes the problem is on our side, sometimes the sites have issues. 

So in the mean time I will try and answer your questions as best I can.  Hopes this helps even a little and thanks for taking the time to stay engaged with us.

Jeremiah

Monday, December 17, 2007 7:50 PM
  • Dear Jeremiah,

Thank you for your honest and indepth answers.  I realize it must be a burdensome task to read, understand and respond to forum questions in a way that users will be content with.  The information provided in the above response is comprehensive and useful if for no other reason than it conveys an effort being applied that often seems to be lacking in Live Search's aproach to public discemination of information.  Your latest response is thorough, informative and generous.  So, thank you and happy Holiday.  By the way, you spelled http://solenarodesigns.com incorrectly.  Is your submission portal broken too?  Enjoy the New Year.

bb

Monday, December 17, 2007 10:10 PM
  • Jeremiah,
    I appreciate your answers above.  With that said I have an issue with question number six.  Here is the question and your reply.

====================

==================

I have read this over and over again and it I can't understand it to some degree.  Most that have had problems with being indexed can't understand how Live Search somehow has different criteria for indexing than Google and Yahoo.  Most like myself have a site that Live Search will not touch yet have hundreds and thousands of pages indexed within your competition. 

Goggle and Yahoo control 80% of the search market and have no problem indexing and crawling my site.  What you are saying to me is I am sorry but your site does not cut it.  At the same time your competition does not have a problem with it.  When we point this out we get the same canned reply over and over again.  If it is good enough for them why is it not good enough for LS?  I would think LS would want to shake things up in the search market.  They should not be eliminating sites that are legit on the other search providers.  Let me turn the table on you.  Here is my canned reply...

=================

There are a lot of reasons why sites don't get indexed on Live Search.  One of the big challenges for Live Search is ensuring that we go above and beyond our competition.  As a search provider we need to ensure not only that emulate our competition but provide additional services that sets our search engine apart from the rest.

MSNBot crawls billions of web pages, not every page is indexed.  We take great care to make sure that what gets indexed within our competition search results is also indexed within ours.  In addition, we take great pride in bringing new tools for search that are not offered elsewhere.  You can see all these great tools at web page xyz.  As you can see MS is serious about search and we will be the leader in providing the right tools for you to succeed.

====================

Dare to dream. The good news is that  I am covered by 80%+ of the search queries.  I would love to use LS but I just don't see any change soon.

Steve
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:36 PM
  •  

Jeremiah,

The algorithm is broken.   Again reference our site. A  search for promomanagers returns references TO our site before it returns the actual url OF our site.   So it valued those links high enough to put them at the top of Live SERPS but they aren't valued enough to actually put the site they REFER to in the SERPs?

The problem for most of us isn't links or criteria, the problem is Live Bot is broken.   Sadly I see a very familiar but long forgotten trend with  Microsoft bugs in that it must be something the customer is doing.  

Live search is returning irrelevant results which is likely why so little traffic came from our Live Search Ads and why the cost of said ads was a fraction of what it was elsewhere - competitors realize the traffic is so low it's not worth the price.

If Google indexes 400 pages, Yahoo 200, and MSN 1 is the problem really on the customers end?  Do you really believe that?

promotional products

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:15 PM