How do I resolve this remote download problem RRS feed

• Question

• I'm experiencing a problem downloading movies from my home server. It has been in service about 9 months and I have been moving movies 2-3 times a week prior to a problem with my Netgear router that reduced my download speeds to 12-15kbps.  During that period, the server timed out a couple of times while moving the files and disconnected.  On my last visit home (I travel extensively) the router was fixed and my speeds are back up to about 220 kbps but now I'm getting a warning: "There might not be enough server storage space on your home server to compress these files. (the error message goes on)" but I have checked and after doing all I know how, there is only about 4% space left on the C:/ drive when I do a disk check.

I used standard setup parameters when I installed the WHS software, set up a 20g partition on a 1TB drive, have 5TB of installed storage and about 2TB of data installed, do regular updates and have only installed a virus checker on the computer so unless its regular Microsoft updates filling the hard drive, I suspect there are fragmented download files located somewhere on the C: drive.

How do I find out if these compressed files are temporarily placed on the c: drive and where these files are located, I've been reading until my eyes are bleeding, my head is exploding and I don't have any duct tape to capture the debris.  My past experience with computers and Microsoft leads me to believe the solution is probably very simple its just knowing how to get to the right item.

Is it possible to access and remove or re-allocate space on the server?  Remotely identify or locate these files or what is using the file space.  I was able to walk my wife through doing a disk check that cleaned up the excess files and removed nearly half a gig of stuff but the hard drive is still showing 96% full.

If not, please offer suggestions to help me get on a path to resolve this problem, even if its an additional software package for remote monitoring/access services.  I'm an intermediate user, built the chasis myself with a new ASUS motherboard, X4 processor, 2gig of ram exclusively as a media server for remote file sharing and local network backup.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:20 AM

All replies

• Please check the folders C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1 and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs. If these folders contain excessive amount of data you can empty them. If these folders are not the actual problem you can useTreesize free to check which folder is containing all the data. If you want to do this remotely you can use the Program Launcher Add-in. This Add-in provides remote access to the server desktop, explorer and other programs.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:14 PM