none
No IrDA support in Windows 10

Question

• I understand that IrDA is no longer supported in Windows 10. Why? I need it and it isn't as easy as buying a new $100 sports watch. I have a $1000 dive computer that you just made obsolete! Please bring back IrDA support as soon as possible. Can you commit to that before I have to revert back to that crappy Windows 8.1? Also why the 30 day limit to revert?
    • Moved by Just KarlModerator Monday, October 19, 2015 5:47 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Monday, October 19, 2015 3:06 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Monday, October 19, 2015 5:46 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Discussion Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 10 forum on Microsoft Community.

As the Microsoft Community is on a different platform, we cannot move the question for you.

Once there, click on Participate near the top of the screen, and select 'Ask a Question' or 'Start a Discussion'

Karl

• Hi aowi7280,

you might be interested that I find the response from "Just Karl" quite comical. I asked the same question in the Microsoft community and got told to re-submit it in TechNet. .  . MS is simply not saying anything. I think that may thousands of people across the globe view this as a blunder and MS are trying to "ignore it out of existence".

@Karl, how about moving this simply into to the "Windows 10 IT Pro > Windows 10 Hardware & Performance" forum where the same question has already been asked "IrDA support for Windows 10" on 08.09.2015 and the answer is "There is no official answer on this." I leave you to draw you own conclusion as too what that really means. . . .

John Mantle, QuantityWare GmbH

Monday, October 26, 2015 12:59 PM
  • The OP could request that this thread be moved, but there is no good reason to do so. As you've pointed out, there are already plenty of threads about this issue and one more isn't going to get you an official MSFT response.

In case you haven't noticed, actual MSFT employees are extremely rare in these forums and you shouldn't hold out any hope that you'll get a 'real' answer here. These forums are 99.9% community members who can't speak to anything official.

Monday, October 26, 2015 1:15 PM
  • As of May 2016, 10 months after the release of Windows 10 USB-IrDA adapters are still not working :
    The device is compatible with Windows 10, and the driver is automatically retrieved by Windows 10 and installed (Version 1.3.0.0 Dated: 18 May 2007) when the device is used for the first time. (BTW - Version 1.3.2.0 Dated: 1st Jul, 2013 is available on Coolgear's et ASIX's WEB site)
    •BUT, Windows 10 currently doesn't have IrDA stack enabled. You currently won't be able to communicate with your POLAR watch, SCUBAPRO/UWATEC dive computer and a PC running on Windows 10.
    Microsoft has released insider preview updates of Windows 10 with IrDA stack enabled. However, these updates are currently available for Microsoft Insider (testers) only.
    Microsoft doesn't communicate on the availability of these latest updates for public use.
    Hopefully in Windows 10 Anniversary update our USB-IrDA adaptors will function properly again!

À ce jour soit en Mai 2016, 10 mois depuis le lancement de Windows 10 les adaptateurs USB-IrDA ne fonctionnent toujours pas :
    •L'interface est compatible avec Windows 10. Le système lancera automatiquement la recherche de pilote à la première utilisation du périphérique et installera la Version 1.3.0.0 datée: 18 Mai, 2007. (Une version 1.3.2.0 datée: 1er Jul, 2013 est disponible sur les sites WEB de Coolgear et ASIX)
    •CEPENDANT, à ce jour, la fonctionnalité de gestion de communication par infrarouge sous Windows 10 n'a pas encore été activée par Microsoft. La communication entre votre montre POLAR, ordinateur de plongée SCUBAPRO/UWATEC et un PC sous Windows 10 est donc pour le moment impossible.
    •Microsoft a publié des mises à jour pour la version Insider Preview de Windows 10 dans lesquelles la communication par infrarouge est activée. Elles sont néanmoins actuellement disponibles uniquement pour les testeurs du programme Microsoft Insider.
    •Microsoft n'a pour le moment pas fait d'annonce concernant la date de disponibilité de ces dernières mises à jour pour la version grand public de Windows 10.
    En espérant que nos adaptateurs USB-IrDA redeviennent fonctionnels avec le lancement de la mise à jour Anniversaire de Windows 10

Sunday, May 8, 2016 6:21 PM
  • I found this helpful:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3150989

Friday, June 3, 2016 5:15 PM