none
Is there a forum rule for this ? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a forum rule regarding someone answering questions by redirecting the OPs to a website he owns or manages ?
    I don't mean just once awhile. Majority of his replies is redirection to his website.

IF there is, please direct me to the said forum policy. I would like to read it.

If it is against TechNet policy, how do I report it. By hitting the report button ?

• Edited by david hk129 Saturday, April 11, 2015 6:44 AM
    Saturday, April 11, 2015 2:58 AM

Answers

• Hi David,

First off, these are only my opinions - nothing I'm posting is a rule (AFAIK).

If someone posts in an active thread with a link to their blog about how they solved a problem, that's perfectly fine in my estimation. A bit annoying, but not anything out of bounds.

If someone goes looking for ancient threads to post their blog link in though, I generally tag the post as blogspam. On the other hand, if they post a thoughtful writeup of why they think they have a good solution to the posted problem I'm much more likely to let it go.

I've basically arrived at the same conclusion you have. It's completely subjective, so we as a community need to use our judgment on whether or not a post is appropriate.

If you'd like to get an official opinion, you can always reach out to the forums team too. I'm pretty sure you're familiar with the email address to contact now, but if not, just let me know and I'll post it.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,225+ strong and growing)

• Marked as answer by david hk129 Saturday, April 11, 2015 9:40 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2015 9:35 PM

All replies

• Well, I read some of the related threads from the past.

One on March 2013 is useless.

The rest are between 4 to 6 years od. None provides a definitive yes or no.

I deduce that : It is a "yes' and "no" situation. It should be handled case by case by the mods.

First, it is a cop-out.
    Second, if members don't have the "back & white" regarding such matter, one would not hit the report button. If no abuse is reported, there is no case-by-case for the mods to handle.

I won't pursue this matter any further.

Saturday, April 11, 2015 7:18 AM
  • Hi David,

First off, these are only my opinions - nothing I'm posting is a rule (AFAIK).

If someone posts in an active thread with a link to their blog about how they solved a problem, that's perfectly fine in my estimation. A bit annoying, but not anything out of bounds.

If someone goes looking for ancient threads to post their blog link in though, I generally tag the post as blogspam. On the other hand, if they post a thoughtful writeup of why they think they have a good solution to the posted problem I'm much more likely to let it go.

I've basically arrived at the same conclusion you have. It's completely subjective, so we as a community need to use our judgment on whether or not a post is appropriate.

If you'd like to get an official opinion, you can always reach out to the forums team too. I'm pretty sure you're familiar with the email address to contact now, but if not, just let me know and I'll post it.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,225+ strong and growing)

• Marked as answer by david hk129 Saturday, April 11, 2015 9:40 PM
    Saturday, April 11, 2015 9:35 PM